Hook sharpener

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by lj catman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    what's the best hook sharpener on the market for circle hooks and kanhle hooks.

2. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

With a flat file you can control and reshape the edge of the point, much like reshaping a knifes blade. with realy thick circles, i find that i must occasionaly hone them on a larger grinder to get even close to what i would start with.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have always used a 1/2" x 1 1/4" x 3" flat Arkansas stone that I was taught to use on all hooks.What kind of hooks and what size did you use to be able to utilize "a larger grinder" for?I am missing something that could have been of great use to me.Also,what size and cut flat file?Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

I use a diamond hone to touch up my hooks...far as the circle hooks, it would be hard to do those any better than they come with the point geometry they have...

5. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ok your picking my brain, and thats great.....in the ever non ending quest for the perfect hook i have ventured into the blacksmithing relm. by welding and reforming the largest circles to obtain the perfect balance of shape, hook protrusion, yet sliding circle effect. we need big gap hooks, but we dont kneed the thickness afforded by the larger sea circles on the market....by large i dont mean 5/0 or 9/0 i mean like 19/0+ ive had some realy realy big hooks from time to time(that are boarderline exotic terminal tackle). hooks that aproach 8inch gaps and are nearly half as thick as a pencil! so to sharpen down something of that caliber you could spend the next month on a hone, ...or you can drasticaly grind it down, rough shape it, and then hone the final point,...things of concern are over heating/ heat stressing the metal and the likes. but all things said, the thiner the hook the easier it is to set. but the thinner the wire, and in particular with largerer hooks, the leverage will tend to bend them somewhat. its a fine balance. but i have had the ultimate perfect hook from time to time.(not prety, but catches every last bite!)

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I admit to picking your brain as I have many others.I am on here to help and to learn.I often hear answers to questions that I never even thought about.How about the file question and what type and size grinder?Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee