hook setting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 16, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    when i fish from shore i have my rods in a holder and open my bail

i wait until i see the line unspool quickly... then i pick up the rod, close the bail and wait until i feel the rod tug then rip there face off

my question is a get alot of gut hooks and thats fine if i keep them but i dont keep the pregnet ones ( i use a 2/0 baitkeeper but dont think it matters ) ( l let them run to long ...I think)

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    sounds like you do let em run too long, but flatheads you need to let em get that bait down. The only other solution is to switch hooks. The circle hook would solve this usually. I like them, but the only down side is that you DON"T set the hook. Pick the spooling pole up, engage the real, wait to feel the pressure and just hold on, the hook is designed to set it's self!! Good and bad, I personally like to set the meat to em:angry: so I use kahle's and octopus's. Those are the ones I am sending you.

So just play with your run times, ALSO, if you plan on getting new set ups--I would STRONGLY suggest a real with a bait clicker!!!!!!!!!! Then you know exactly when they take it and run. Plus it helps you relax and enjoy the trips. Sit back have a adult beverage and just wait to HEAR your bite!!!!!:wink:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I myself leave the bail down and let him load my rod good. I grab it out of the holder and basically pick up and reel as soon as I'm in position.

I can't honestly remember the last time I hooked one down the gut. Consider your hook size also. I use circle hooks 4/0 or bigger, sometimes I use Kahle hooks but that's a whole debate in it's own. Basically you've got to correctly match your hook to the bait, and targeted size fish. For me I don't see much over #20 so a hook around 4/0 is a good size.

-Jim-

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Circle hooks !!!!! They will not gut the fish 99% of the time.:big_smile:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    LeRoy, you can leave the bail closed and just loosen your drag, so the fish can pull line and you don't get any backlash or flipping of the line. You can put in a sturdy rod holder and set the drag tighter, so it takes more for the fish to pull it out, giving you a chance to see it. Just set it light enough so you won't lose a rod if you get a hit and aren't watching. I set my spinning rod in a Y stick thats like 4 or 5 ft high. It will only have the tip and the first 3 eyes hanging over the edge. That way the butt has more weight, and its harder for the fish to pull it into the water. I can set the drag tighter and the spool will spin before the rod goes in the water lol. I hope you can understand what I'm saying. Its easier to show than tell.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Try some of them 7/0 hooks from Wild Wold Products, Gene is the man. Just keep your bail closed and loosen the drag a bit. Youll corner mouth them 99% of the time. :big_smile:

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i have the drag really low and do that now

by the way

it wasnt on ur care package but i got a 5lb channel on saturday ( on the premo you and others suggested )

i threw it out and litteraly walked 5 steps...clickclickclickclick.... it didnt even peck at it... just ran.... but i wasnt complaining

****** the 50lb mono ur sending me is it the brand you use for leaders*** just curious

looking forward to the package cause im entering a school competion ( biggest or most )

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LeRoy

Your getting there buddy ; ) Congrats on the #5 channel, that's still a decent fish. I enjoy watching people learn and then catch fish. That #50 mono prolly is for leaders, that's something I need to do also when I can afford to.

-Jim-

9. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    yep. like most said.. use a hook to match cat and use circle or such and set drag pretty tight so fish will swim and hook but not pull rod in water..

good luck..

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I'll typically let the fish bite and jack around until its either running towards me creating slack in my line...in which case it might be necessary to let the fish go under the boat before you set the hook in order to avoid pulling the hook out of its mouth.

If its going away from me or sideways...I wait until it decides its gonna load the rod itself...I'll reel up slack in the meantime...and when there is a good sized bend in my limber tipped rod...I sweep sideways to finish loading my Gamakatsu octopus circle hook...and then give it a little extra nudge or two after the fish is already hooked...in order to drive the hook in a little further if it needs be.

BTW...just setting your drag lighter instead of getting a reel with a dual drag clicker is asking for trouble...I can personally attest to this.

Depending on your reel selection...there are times when the drag gets turned further than you intended to turn it...resulting in a loud SNAP...when your line breaks.

Which in turn is typically followed by a string of obscenities that comes from the heart...and could make a preacher kick out a stained glass window. :angry:

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Sleek, the 50# is for whatever you need it for. I sent it off today so you will have it soon. I threw in some 6/0 circle hooks and some 250# swivels so you can try those too. If you want mono go with berkely big game. The brand I am sending you isnt the best, but I just had it laying around. ENJOY!!:wink:

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks Brian, I was just trying to get him to the point of hooking a big catfish without losing his pole lol. You really should invest in an Abu Garcia or PENN reel. Something with a clicker, If you haven't used a bait caster before, just hook up with some of the guys from your state. I'm sure they can help you out. I haven't used PENN reels, But I love Abu Garcia 7000's. With an hours practice you'll be tossing it like a pro. Just remember to keep it tight and don't go for the fence right out of the box.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I graduated to baitcasters when I was the ripe old age of 10 years old. (I'm 38 now) Can't say I don't still get the occasional birdsnest. I don't think thats something that ANY of us ever outgrow...Lol.

I currently have in my inventory five 6500's...two 6000's...a 7000...three Daiwa millionairres...and thats not including the "bone pile"...which is some of my old blasts from the past. (Which...they work...but I NEVER use...I haven't counted them lately, but the number is grossly excessive...according to my wife)

Then there's other specific application spinning combos such as spoonbill...crappie...whitebass...wiper...largemouth...smallmouth...walleye...ya...you get the point. :wink:

I have WAYYY too much fishing gear...but I'm always the one who takes advantage of a good deal or a sale at the sporting goods store that i happen to be shopping atl.......or breaks their neck at garage sales as I drive by looking to see if there is any fishing gear. My wife swears E-Bay was spawned by the devil due to our monthly credit card balances...lol.

And as a result my pool table in my garage is typically reminiscent of a bomb going off in the fishing section of Bass Pro Shops.

Sometimes I don't even bother to unload the truck when the spawning runs are in full swing...lol.

Thanks for the advice tho...I agree...a clicker is a great way to fish in certain applications.

BTW...as far as going for the fence...I can cast my 7000 (Which is mounted on a 10' E-glass rod) over 100 yd + with a 4 oz sinker.

I say plus because the river is 100 yards wide at the dam where I snag spoonbill...and I have to brake the spool with my thumb to keep from bouncing off the rocks on the west side of the river.

Here's a tip about how to gauge how far out you've casted.

Fine tune your rig (Sinker weight, spool controls, ect)...and give it a good heave until you reach that perfect distance you're wanting to attain.

Then take a black (if daylite)...or a flourescent (if nite)... indelible marker...and mark about 3' of line after your desired cast.

That way on your next cast you'll see the mark...and know when to start putting on the brakes.

This also works fishing vertically off the side of the boat...in tandem with your fish finder.