Hook Setting Technique

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    What does everyone concentrate on when setting the hook , power , or speed. Do you sweep over your head or with the flex of your elbowstowards the tip of your nose .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would go with speed more than power. I use mono and usually have a lot of line between me and the fish. Mono has a high rate of stretch so I try to use quick long jerks when seting hook. I don't think the power comes into play, because if your hooks are sharp, it doesn't take that much to bury them. If I am using braided line with no stretch, then I usually just use a short quick whipping motion with my wrists.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I agree with that. Mono will stretch a ton so it doesnt take a lot of power, but it does take a lot of motion.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I usually give a snap and sweep. If possible to the side when fishing out in front of me. if vertical fishing i snap and raise the rod tip up using my forearms and wrist. If it is a really big fish than i may extend my arms when jerking the rod back and up.

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I like to keep my left hand under my reel, and I cup my right hand on the butt of my rod. This gives me really great feel for bites, and when the fish takes my bait, I jerk the rod hard enough to heave a 30lb. sack of corn over my head. My hook-setting technique is famous with just about everybody who's ever fished with me. I'll let 'em have it when they've taken my bait!!!

Funny side-note to this thread...... when I was in Alaska fishing for king salmon last summer, my buddy warned me that the Alaskan folks are notorious for worming in on your fishing spots. I mean these people will walk right up next to you and just get in your way to fish your spot, they have no respect whatsoever. Well, I tied a 4 ounce weight on my rig when i was pitching yarn flies in one of the local rivers...... & after everybody saw me set the hook a time or two, I had 20yards on either side of me all to myself. I could hear 'em telling each other "Watch out for that guy in the overalls!" It was awesome.