Hook Setting Contraptions?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by doomz, Nov 28, 2006.

1. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    I've seen on a few different websites hook setting devices. I guess their a hot item in the UK. I also went fishing up in Nor. Cal. and these asian guys had these bad hook setters with alarms and lights attached to them. Does anybody know of a site that sells these things or a place that I can get better pictures so I can build one.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sorry, sure don't. But my question is why do you even think you want one of these conraptions. You think they improve fishing?

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Check out the Lightning strike.
    * I think you can find them on Bass pro..
    ~ Or just a search for 'em..
    I Bought one and it is real cool.. Does not always work, but sometimes it does.
    ~A

4. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    I'd like them for cats and stripers. Sometimes we go striper fishing and we go late at night and were tired as heck and we fall a sleep. I'd like them for nap time. Can't set a hook if your off in lala land.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Oh, Welcome to the BOC bro!:cool2:

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are a couple of other auto hook setting devices you could look at as well.

1. The Slammer can be used on ice and on docks or flat surfaces.

2. Spring loader can be used on the bank or shore.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Here's another device. It's called the Quickset. I am currently in the process of testing it for the company and I will post my review when I am finished. At this point, I know it does not work in medium or stronger current. Their site is quicksetfishing.com . I think the best uses would be in a pond/lake setting.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Here's another device, probably already in your tackle box, its called a circle hook. For that matter, Kahles do a pretty decent job too.

9. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    so I'll try to fix that right now. I think Im up to like 6 now

10. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Doh ! I knew about the 10 post requirement. Sorry, I wasn't thinking right. That happens to every one.

Maybe you could just post up a bunch of one liners. Go to the general conversation board and introduce yourself. That should take care of the pre-requisits quick enough.

In the mean time, I try to send them in a PM (I don't know if that will work either).

11. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    I was going to ask you for an introduction page...thanks..I'll do that right now

12. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    cant believe it hasnt been said... circle hooks and a good rod holder.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Didn't mention the rod holder, but did the circles.

14. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    whoops! overlooked that one.:crazy:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan I see you already have 12 post. Keep posting and welcome to the BOC. You are going to loe this group of brothers and sisters.:smile2:

16. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Awshucks, Dooms. I can totally see why you would want one of them contraptions, as they add a little something new to night fishing. and when you get as old as I am, They just mite save you a rod and real, if for some reason you happen to fall a sleep and get one on a circle hook that can't get loose. I built my own But the only time I use it is if I decide to take a nap.

17. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Hmmmm.....A time and a place for just about everything, Yes on the rodholders but unless that there setting device can get my "Lite-Bitting" Flatheads and improve my 10% hook-up ratio I don't think so for now.

But I'm ALWAYS willing to learn so keep talkin guys.

:0a31:

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have recently had the opportunity to test a new hook-setting device called the Quickset. Ed, the inventor of the Quickset, sent me one to try out and asked me to write a review.
    My initial thought when I first saw this was that it was just a gimmick that probably wouldnÂ’t work, but I was determined to give it an honest test.
    My first test was in a small river with moderate to fast current. At first, it was useless. The pull of the current was always triggering a false bite. But after adjusting the tension to the right setting, I had no more problems with the current. Fishing side by with another rod using my conventional method, my results were pretty good. Using circle hooks on both lines turned in 3 attempts and 0 fish with the Quickset and 2 attempts and 2 fish with my other pole. So I switched hooks. I put on Daiichi Bleeding Bait Hooks Octopus Wide 4/0. The results were much better. The Quickset had 5 attempts and netted 5 fish, while my other pole had 5 attempts and netted 4 fish. Overall, it was a pretty good catfishing trip. I landed 11 fish, 5 with the Quickset and 6 without.
    My second test was in a small pond for Bluegill. Once again using one pole with the Quickset and one without. I fished both lines using bobbers and just average panfish hooks. The quickset landed 15 Bluegill out of 21 attempts and my other pole landed 12 out of 19 attempts. Another good day with 27 Bluegill caught.
    My third test was in a larger lake, actually the largest natural lake in Ohio, Chippewa Lake. I caught two fish out of two tries with the quickset and had no attempts on my other pole. Not such a productive day, but the quickset did produce fish.
    The Quickset is a small device that anchors to the ground and then hooks onto the end of your rod to use the power of your bent rod to set the hook. The device is made from molded ABS plastic and seems sturdy enough to hold up to continued use. The cords used are nylon and should last a long time, but can be replaced easily when needed. The device must be anchored in the ground in front of your rod, which requires a spike. I used an old tent stake. There is not one included with the Quickset.