hook sets

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by shortbus, Jun 21, 2009.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Since there is a lot of talk about hooks lately. I got thinking about hook sets. Lots of people miss flatheads because of poor hook sets.
    How do you do it???
    Reason I'm asking this is because I've seen people miss fish over and over trying to rip a fishes lips off. Then a friend of mine had his 12 year old out fishing and he hooked 5 flatheads by just pulling the rod up against the fish. The kid could hardly set the hook!

So how do your hook sets ?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I set the hook on em like they just stole my wifes purse and they,re gettin away,then I always set a second time for good measure!:wink:.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    IMO some people try to set the hook to fast on flatheads, they just don't give the fish enough time to close their mouth on the bait. They jerk the bait and hook right out of their mouth.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

This is what I'm talking about. I've seen it happen so many times. How much pressure do people think a hook needs to embed in a fishes mouth???

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Personally,I,ve lost too many fish in the first couple minutes to take the chance.When I see anything goin on with my line,I got my pole in my hands in freespool with the clicker off.I,ll wait til I see if he,s running off or coming towards me,in case I gotta reel to take up the slack.I want to get his head turned towards me before he has a chance to either head into the current or head back to a snag.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's because the kid was doing it right!

It's not very technical, and not as much fun, but the rod holder does the best hook sets. Just leave the rod in the holder and don't touch it until the fish is hooked solid.

For setting the hook yourself, I am convinced that the thing most people do wrong is to do a quick jerk on a loose line. The most important thing is to wait until you have the solid weight of the fish on the line and then just pull back a bit to set the hook into it. If you jerk on a line that is even a bit loose, then you are just jerking the hook out of their mouth!

Look at it this way - if you put a hook down inside a bucket and gradually, very slowly increased tension the hook will pull up to the rim and most of the time it will catch on the lip. If you jerk, then the whole thing just comes flying right out of the bucket!

7. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know, maybe it's because I fished mostly in a snag filled bayou when I was a kid, but I generally try and set the hook hard enough to cross their eye's (usually more than once). Where we fished as a kid, the hook wasn't coming out without hanging unless it was in a fishes mouth and when you did get a bite, you wanted the fish out of there before he could tangle up.

Where I fish now, I cast far enough that if you're using mono, there is a TON of stretch when you set the hook, so I let the fish take it, real down to the fish, and then drop the hammer. After that, I yank it several more times because the line is acting like a bungee chord and I want to make sure the hook gets in.

I'm switching to braid on one pole now to see how it works. I used braid before but I'm guessing it wasn't heavy enough as I was breaking the line on about half of my hook sets.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good answer and example. I agree.

9. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I recently reevaluated the way I set the hook due to having (more than I liked) break offs happen during the hookset. I use 80lb suffix and at first thought the line should stand up the even the hardest hookset. I was still catching plenty of fish, but just breaking off from time to time. I suspect this was happening on the bigger fish that didn’t move as much on the hookset (heavier).

I did some testing on the shock strength of braided line and it just isn’t all that great (pretty poor in fact), so I’ve concluded that rippin lip isn’t for me anymore. I’ve changed over to a less aggressive hookset and almost modified it to a flick of the wrist.

So far so good, several 30lb fish boated since then and zero breakoffs.

I guess time will tell, but it only makes sense in that the braid has zero stretch. For every inch you pull back it is an inch at the hook.

I caught a few last night all on cut bait and 8/0 circle so that was a no brainer. Engage reel and start crankin. LOL

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this depend on, if your using braid or mono, ill mine are hooked befor i even set it, i dont set it realy hard but i set it good, , but differt areas take differan tactics , in my lake, they bend that poll to the ground, but i freespool on the lake alot, now i tightline , on the rivers, its getting a little confusing, lol all theese metheds , i think we shold bring up a poll about tightlining or freepooling,

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

The hookset I use is for J hooks.If you were standing 50 ft away and holding my hook in your hand,would you rather I pull it slow and steady or if I reared back and gave it a yank?If the hook was in my hands,I,d definitely want the guy on the other end to be pulling slow and steady!:eek:oooh: