Hook set problem when using bluegill heads (double hooking head)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KingCatBrad, Jun 5, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok I am having a problem when trying to set the hook with circle hooks and using bluegill heads. This has only started recently; I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks. What has started happening is when my rod is doubling over like crazy and I grab it and just lift the do straight up and start reeling, I can feel the fish shaking and rolling then nothing is on the line. When I get it all the way in my pearch heads our double hooked. I have always hooked them through the eyes and have never had this problem before. I am fishing in a lake with little to no current.

Thank You In Advance For Any Help At All.....

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The problem with hooking perch or shad for that matter thru the eyes when useing circles is as you mentioned is them hooking back into the head covering your hook gap. To eliminate this I hook mine thru the nostril holes above the mouth. Another option can be to hook them behind the dorsal fin.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I always hooked all fish heads under the chin and out the nostrils with all hooks for fresh and saltwater fishing whether commercial or sport fishing.I now use Kahle hooks as they have improved my catch rate since I have become handicapped.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    when i use blue gill heads i hook mine righ through the top of the gut cavity running parellel with the sides i havent had any probs with double hook in them

5. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    I think after you hook them threw the eyes they get wallered out and it lets your bait swing up into your gap when the cat hits it,i like to hook mine into the meat a little(from the gut cavity out the top about a 1/4-3/8" into the head) it doesnt sem to twist on the hook as bad.

6. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    So let me ask a silly question: you're using a traditional hookset while using circle hooks? If I misinterpreted "hook set" then I apologize -- maybe this is just semantics.

However, if the bait is positioned so that it can obstruct the hook's tip, it needs to be hooked more shallow so that the tip cannot be blocked by bait...maybe that's the problem. Hope this helps.

7. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Sure glad you brought this up. Yesterday was my first trip out with cut Gill Bait and I was having the same problem with the heads. Just about gave up on Circle Hooks. Thanks to you and others on the board, I think I have a solution.:smile2:

Again, Thanks
    Rick

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Like Pee Wee said Kahle hooks. after using them my hookup rate is better and kahles ussually hook like circles, very few swallow the hook.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If the plane of the hook is at right angles to the plane of the head (through the eyes), it's relatively easy for the barb to turn, and bury in the side of the bait. Hook the head through the chinny chin chin, and you'll experience less fouling.