Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and have my first question.
I’m building some jug lines here in Texas planning on going to Fayette county lake then Somerville to float them. Eventually going to make a couple of troutlines for the Colorado river.
My son’s here visiting and tells me we’re not allowed to use straight hooks and my 5-O Eagle Claws can’t be used on my jugs. He says it’s a new law and it’s circle hooks only.
Ive searched everywhere for such a law and can’t find anything except fishing for stripers with bait is now non offset circle hooks only in Texas.
Does anyone know of a new hook regulation for catfish here in Texas?
Any reply’s are greatly appreciated so we can settle our argument.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Welcome to the USCA, I think you are going to like it here. Being from another state I can not help with TX regulations but as has been suggested contacting the folks who enforce the regulations is a good start. If you do call someone in enforcement be sure to record the date, time and ID of the person who advises you if their advise is in contrast with what you have been led to believe. My home state publishes a fishing regulation booklet each spring, maybe TX does also?
Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the USCA, I think you are going to like it here. Being from another state I can not help with TX regulations but as has been suggested contacting the folks who enforce the regulations is a good start. If you do call someone in enforcement be sure to record the date, time and ID of the person who advises you if their advise is in contrast with what you have been led to believe. My home state publishes a fishing regulation booklet each spring, maybe TX does also?
Good Luck with it.
We have a booklet and an app that constantly updates. Can’t find anything on the subject there or the TPWD website. I’ll contact a warden and ask. I found new regulations for shark fishing about none stainless steel circle hooks and circle hooks only for fresh water concerning striped bass. But not any other fresh water species. Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I’ll post my findings.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Contacting your Fish & Game Department is the best answer. I always use email so I have the answer in writing. Just be sure to describe what your doing clearly so they understand your question.

welcome to the USCA forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got off the phone with the local game warden. Got his name and information. He said there is no regulation for circle hooks only. He did inform me they work really well. His only concern is that I have my stuff properly tagged with my information and date. Then he said see you on the water so I’ll be double checking my safety equipment before heading out. Lol Which I’m big on safety anyway especially because I seldom have anyone to go with me.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Sounds like a good plan Doug. I liked the YouTube videos using PVC and pool noodle to make a jug rig that setup when hit. But here in Indiana, you can only use jugs in rivers and they have to be within sight at all times. Still might be interesting at night with glow sticks attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a good plan Doug. I liked the YouTube videos using PVC and pool noodle to make a jug rig that setup when hit. But here in Indiana, you can only use jugs in rivers and they have to be within sight at all times. Still might be interesting at night with glow sticks attached.
I’m old school and using regular old jugs that I painted fluorescent pink. Cost less than half of the pool noodles/pvc the way I make them. I’ll put reflective tape on them for nighttime spotlight. I don’t go far when I’m jug lining. I’ll go fish awhile and go check them in an hour or so. If they don’t do well I’ll try another spot until I find the fish. I don’t leave them unattended because people still them if there’s a fish on. This is why they’re bright pink so when I catch someone they can’t say they thought it was there’s. I only have 2 lakes here that are close enough for me to jug line. The others are restricted (no jug lines). And no trot lines except for the river which stays to shallow to do a whole lot. I know guys that are constantly tearing up props and gear cases on there flat bottom boats. My boat runs pretty shallow but I’ve stayed off the river so far.
Thanks for the reply it’s appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good deal, now you can fish in comfort without having to stress wondering if you are doing it right or wrong, now go catch some and post pix.
Definitely will. It’s been about 20 years since I’ve been able to do what was a weekly ordeal for me. I’m retired now and super excited to get back at it. Just live in a different area now but won’t take me long to find the fish. I bought a project boat last year and set it up to have a lot of room for my ice chest and jugs. Still have a front deck for when I want to go after bass or crappie. Can also drift fish if I want.
Thanks for replying to my post. Man this is going to be fun.
Keep a tight line.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If fishing in an area considered salt water with lines circle hooks are required. Even if it’s fresh water. There is a line drawn across the state. IH 10 in the area I live. If your south of there then circle hooks must be used. North of there and your fine. The line tagging has changed over the past few years. Everything requires a tag. Though as I fish around the area I fish not many follow the rules. Oh well that’s their problem if the game warden catches them. Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If fishing in an area considered salt water with lines circle hooks are required. Even if it’s fresh water. There is a line drawn across the state. IH 10 in the area I live. If your south of there then circle hooks must be used. North of there and your fine. The line tagging has changed over the past few years. Everything requires a tag. Though as I fish around the area I fish not many follow the rules. Oh well that’s their problem if the game warden catches them. Lol
I knew they where required for saltwater but didn’t know it started at I -10. I’m about 45 minutes south .
The game warden I spoke with must check them. His advice to me was make sure my information is legible and he can read everything otherwise he takes the rig. I’ve painted my jugs bright pink so nobody can miss seeing them. Since they changed that law as well. They can be any color except orange (commercial fishing). When I was fishing before they had to be white. When your jugs are white and you go to pick them up you chase a lot of birds. Lol
Im going to make a couple with circle hooks and see how they do compared to the others.
Thanks for the information Incase I end up on the river the other side of I 10 one day. I appreciate it.
Keep a tight line:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew they where required for saltwater but didn’t know it started at I -10. I’m about 45 minutes south .
The game warden I spoke with must check them. His advice to me was make sure my information is legible and he can read everything otherwise he takes the rig. I’ve painted my jugs bright pink so nobody can miss seeing them. Since they changed that law as well. They can be any color except orange (commercial fishing). When I was fishing before they had to be white. When your jugs are white and you go to pick them up you chase a lot of birds. Lol
Im going to make a couple with circle hooks and see how they do compared to the others.
Thanks for the information Incase I end up on the river the other side of I 10 one day. I appreciate it.
Keep a tight line:
Correcting my mistake. I’m 45 minutes north of IH 10. Don’t know why I said south.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
When I joined this site I met Johnnie. He made spools for jug fishing. 2 styles, they looked alike. One style would screw onto a small mouth drink bottle on one size and a large mouth drink bottle on the other. The other style fit 1/2" pvc on one side and 3/4" on the other. Drill a hole in the side of the spool for the line to pass through to set the depth you wish. He offered them for 35 cents so I bought 25 of each style.
I'm in MS, limit of 25 jugs per boat. Some waters have other restrictions.
Gene formed Wild Wolf Products here and Johnnie joined him. After their deaths Pete bought the company, changed the name to Wild Wolf Tackle. He carried the PVC style, not the screw on style. The online store is closed now. I see Pete on a few face book fishing groups, I've asked a few questions and never a reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I joined this site I met Johnnie. He made spools for jug fishing. 2 styles, they looked alike. One style would screw onto a small mouth drink bottle on one size and a large mouth drink bottle on the other. The other style fit 1/2" pvc on one side and 3/4" on the other. Drill a hole in the side of the spool for the line to pass through to set the depth you wish. He offered them for 35 cents so I bought 25 of each style.
I'm in MS, limit of 25 jugs per boat. Some waters have other restrictions.
Gene formed Wild Wolf Products here and Johnnie joined him. After their deaths Pete bought the company, changed the name to Wild Wolf Tackle. He carried the PVC style, not the screw on style. The online store is closed now. I see Pete on a few face book fishing groups, I've asked a few questions and never a reply.
I like the idea of adjusting the depth. You wouldn’t happen to still have one to post a picture of?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Sorry, I don't post photos. I searched the internet and didn't find a link to post. In searching "jug fishing spools" I found 1 link to catfish1 2007. Lot of old members from the BOC there. But, none of the links work.
Send me a pm with your cell phone number, I'll send some photos that way. You can post them if you like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I don't post photos. I searched the internet and didn't find a link to post. In searching "jug fishing spools" I found 1 link to catfish1 2007. Lot of old members from the BOC there. But, none of the links work.
Send me a pm with your cell phone number, I'll send some photos that way. You can post them if you like.
Sent you a pm sir.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correcting my mistake. I’m 45 minutes north of IH 10. Don’t know why I said south.
Looks like I’m going to circle hooks anyway. I missed a lot of fish on my jugs yesterday. The bait would be messed with or gone and cat slime all over the line. I drift fished while waiting to check the jugs and had 6/0 circle hooks on my rods and caught a bunch of small channel cat. Hooked them all in the corner of the mouth. I just have to find circle hooks with a big enough eye for the jug line to go through. 6/0 that I have eyes are to small.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts