Hook removal

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by jaytee, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
  2. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ok ill try again....When the hook sets way back into the mouth/throat and bleeding occurs when removing the hook, I cut the line or leave the hook. I do so because in the past I notice after wrestling a hook loose the fish ends up as a floater most times. Is this pratice causing more harm than good. I am curious because I CNR every time so your opinions are appreciated...thks, J.T.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If the hook penetrates the back of the throat there is little or no chance of survival. It would be like someone stabbing you in the stomach with an icepick and then making you swim laps in lake pleasant. Those fish get released in canola oil.:wink:

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey JT, that is a good question. I wonder the same thing. Also when flatheads take live bait,blugill, what are the odds it will swallow it or will be a lip hookup? I generally keep cats that swallow the hook.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    If the fish is bleeding out the gills or the hook is in the throat I will kill and keep the fish. It doesn't hurt your CNR practice when you must keep a fish that wouldn't survive anyway.

I have never deep hooked a flathead or channel catfish while fishing with Eagle Claw Kahle hooks or any type of circle hook. You might want to give them a try if you are worried about deep hooking.

6. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Any hookset that enters into the esophagus or bowel is deadly and the fish will die. Likewise with a fish that is bleeding heavily. If in doubt, I keep them as theres no use feeding the crayfish. Circle hooks have helped reduce gut hooking for me to practically zero. Even on bluegill where 1 out of 3 I gut hooked with j hooks when using circles its more like 1 out of 15.

7. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good info, thanks for the replies.

8. Angieaz

Angieaz New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    Thanks for the great question. I bet we have all wondered the same thing.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
  10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome, Angie, hope you enjoy the BOC as much as the rest of us do.
    Damion, doing any good lately? i just got back into town sunday after being away for two months. went out last night in boat and managed to get two small channels with my son. gotta find some new holes i found out. :confused2: first though, gotta get used to the heat again. been in northern idaho so not so hot there.
    gary

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Angie.