Hook Questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fisherman94580, Aug 15, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    First off, I'm done with circle hooks, lost to many descent fish on them, and all the hooks fault. I'm starting to like khales more. But my question is, with kahle hooks, when your getting bites from a fish do you wait till it loads the rod to set the hook?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    No, it's not the hook's fault. There are hundreds if not thousands of very successful fisherman who circle hooks exclusively. If circle hooks had a fundamental design flaw, I think we'd know about it by now.

But circle hooks aren't for everybody.

If you're the type that has to pick up your rod the instant the tip twitches, or if you don't use a rod holder at all, or if you're the kind who just isn't a "real" fisherman unless he sets the hook hard enough to yank the fishes head off, then circle hooks aren't for you. If you use giant gobs of bait on little bitty hooks and don't leave a lot of exposed hook with a lot of exposed gap, circle hooks aren't for you.

But used properly, circle hooks are every bit as effective as any other style of hook, and superior to most other styles of hook in that you'll almost never gut-hook a fish using a circle hook.

So your fishing style might have prevented you from being successful with circle hooks and so you might not like them, and that's fine.

Just don't blame the hooks.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with Mr. T circles are a whole new ball of wax and most dont know how to use them. The hook does the work. Now if you are a yanker on first nibble circles wont work. Just my opinion

4. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga

All ya gotta do to be successful with cirles is:
    A) use a circle with a wide gap.
    B) Leave the gap exposed....cats don't care
    C) Wait until the rod loads up, crank down and keep reeling.

I was first introduced to circle hooks over 30 years ago while grouper fishing in Florida. I have loved them ever since.

5. fisherman94580

State:
    Kentucky
    First off, didn't mean to get your panties in a bundle.And sorry, i don't use little bitty hooks with big gobs of bait. I use 6/0 or 8/0 gamma circles with small enough pieces of bait to leave the gap exposed plenty. I do use rod holders. And i know how to use circles. I just enjoy being able to set the hook on a fish. And would like to start using kahles more. And for all that typing and you still didn't answer my question!

:angry:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Aaron, I like setting the hook myself. To me thats just part of the fun of fishing. I have experimented with circles and until I'm old and feeble there just not for me. I like eagle claw kahles from 7/0 - 10/0 and the good thing about these hooks is you can use them either way. You can set the hook as hard as you want to or you can let the rod load up and th fish will catch themselves.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well one thing i found about Kahles if the fish arent slamming the bait. I usually will switch to Kahles and my hook ratio goes up. I dont wait till the rod doubles over just enough that i think i have a good bite and then pull. As far as circle hooks goes I do use them I havent had a problem though at least not that I have noticed. I just hold the rod steady when using circles and don't yank although sometimes the impulse gets to me.....:crazy:

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I agree with Mr. T but with kahles you can set the hook or let the rod load up.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use both circles and kahles, however... I do favor the circles over kahles because of the higher hookup ratio. Last weekend I had 4 successful hookups in 4 strikes using circle hooks,(100%). The wide gap circles is the way to go. Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circles and 7/0 Daiichi circle chunk lights are the best in my opinion. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SET THE HOOK!

The best technique for using Kahles that works for me, is letting the fish load the pole hard before setting the hook.

Either way make sure the point is free of any debris or scales, and that the point is completely exposed as much as possible.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    circles are for fishermen who dont know how to set a real hook :0a1:

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To this date, using "j" hooks, kahle hooks and circle hooks, I have not had a fish to load the pole for me. Guess these fish in Oklahoma are just to scrawny to do that. Have had them pull about two feet of line off the reel before they dropped the bait. Still, I try to use circles occasionally as so many on the board swears by them.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Didn't get my panties in a bundle - I don't care what hook you use.

But folks who don't know much about circle hooks will be reading this thread and I don't want them to go away with the idea that circle hooks cause you to lose fish or that they're somehow a flawed design, because they aren't.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have used circles before for about 2 months and the only fish i caught were caught when i was not close enuff to my poles to screw the hook's work up.
    I used them with nightcrawler on my light action poles and went to the bushes for a second. when i got back both of these poles had a fish on them.
    I dont know what they did just then but those are the only 2 fish i have caught on r&r with circles. They work good on jugs.
    Maybe i need to just let the hooks do all the work for me or something. I just know i catch alot more fish on the kayles than the circles.

14. fisherman94580

State:
    Kentucky
    K guys. I got it. Thanks for answering my question.

15. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use circles because I usually catch and release and circles 99% get in the side of the mouth (no gut hooking).

How are kahles as far as gut hooking? Is it common?