Hook Question

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by coalfire, Mar 21, 2008.

1. coalfire

coalfire New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What type and size of hook do you guys suggest for bank fishing on a river?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    your going to get all kinds of different answers on this one.But i like either kahle or circle hooks,i like the kahle hooks a little better because you can use them like a circle hook or like a regular j hook.Its the best of both worlds.As far as size goes it really depends on the bait your using.I dont like using the great big hooks like 10/0 and stuff like that you simply just dont need it unless you fishing for wels cats lol.I would go for 3/0 to 5/0.But you will be surprised at how big a hook some will recommend.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You have to look at it from the perspective of the person answering the question also. If the rivers they fish are capable of producing 80 to 100 lb plus cats, they are going to use bigger hooks and a lot stronger line. If your fishing a river with at the most a 20 lb fish, your techniques are different than theirs. So, just file their answers away in your little data files and retrieve that information in later years when you get to fish those rivers.

4. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    my step dad always get one to where u at least a whole worm on not too big hook though

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It also depends upon what our targeting. If it's a channel cat, you can use about 1/2 of a large piece of shrimp on anything from a 2/0 to 5/0 hook. Either style, circle, "J" or Kale. If the current is raising the devil, you'll need a large slip sinker (egg, no-roll or no-snag, according to your preference). Again for eater channels, line from 14 lb to 20 lb should suffice. If your targeting large flat heads, use something like a 5/0 to 7/0 hook, a large (hand sized) live sunfish or gold fish. If the river is fairly free of snags, you can go with 20 or so lb test lines. The more snags there are, the heavier line you should have. Don't forget to practice conservation and only keep those fish you intend to eat. If your conscience will let you do it, return all cats that are above 10 pounds... if not, use special care in the cleaning and preparation of these fish.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I use an 8/0 circle almost exclusively. But I fish the Mississippi River and you never know when that next BIG Blue Cat will hit. In fact I use giant baits for the most part, targeting bigger fish. But you would be suprised at how big a bait, and hook, a 5 lb. fish will hit. It greatly depends on the size of the fish in your river or lake. Downsize as needed. Also, channels (and Flatheads) will hit lighter (or cold weather blues) and you might want a Kahle hook then.

7. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    hook size depends on the fish size in that area an average cat here in wyoming is 5-10 lbs so i use a 1/0 hook but if i go fish the missouri river where theres a chance of getting a bigun 20-30-40lbs or more i use 3/0-5/0i prefer the kalyle hooks but it just depends on bait and preference the librarylink on here is full of info on this aswell might enlighten u alot of usefull info there :wink:

8. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well said. Personally, I fish circle hooks, but I've heard great things about Kahle hooks. AwShucks also had some great detailed answers.

As for what kind of answers you'll get...they all vary. My best friend and I will fish side by side with the same bait, same exact rod, reel, and line, but with different hooks. Why? We both fish different styles. So I think the ? for you is, what is your bank river fishing style?

All i've pretty much done ever since I've started catfishing is bank river fish. Honestly. Only recently have I acquired a good river boat. And the whole time, my best friends been right beside me. Only recently have I become a "mature" enough catfisherman to deviate from the ways he taught me. I use a circle hook b/c in all honestly, I will not notice when a fish is hitting my bait, b/c I am a very visual person, and I can't stare at a rod tip for that long. So I use my baitcaster-freespool system that tells me automatically when I have a bite. Then I simply turn the freespool off, and wait for the fish to almost jerk my rod to China. My best friend, however, uses J-hooks, and he never misses even the slightest bite, whether he's looking directly at his rod tip or not. If a fish bites, he sets the hook.

One thing about circle hooks: they don't always work. If a fish grabs the bait and runs downriver, you've got him. If he grabs the bait and just sits there, which if I'm not mistaken flatheads sometimes do, then you've got a lot less chance of making the hookset than if you've got on a J-hook. I read that some guys use circle hooks 80% of the time. But everybody's different, and different water calls for different techniques. But you have to ask yourself: Do I want to always use the best hooks and techniques for every situation, or would I rather put on a circle hook and chill on the bank, cook some hotdogs, etc? For different people, there are different answers. Probably 80% of the time, circle hooks are great for the situation at hand anyways. But for me, that other 20% would equal 90% missed fish if I didn't use circle hooks, just because I won't notice the rod tip dip.

Also: I've read great things about Kahle hooks, but haven't tried them personally. If you wanted the "best of both worlds", I would recommend them. And, sorry this post was so long. Just kinda something up my alley. If you have any ?'s about small river fishing, lemme know. I'm not really that well seasoned compared to others on here, but my best friend's been on the boc longer than me, and he's got some friends on here that could write books on the subjects, if they wanted to give away all their tricks....

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I use a 4/0 circle hook.

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    channels i use a 4/0-6/0
    flaties 6/0-10/0
    for bull heads i use small perch hooks for them

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    trout fishermen have been catching giant trout on miniscule hooks for years.20 lb.trout on 24 hooks are common so its not the size of the hook you want to be concerned about.the size bait you use should dictate what size hook you use.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 4/0 to 7/0 octopus circles. you don't need that big of a hook, but i want to be ready when a blue picks up the bait.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Good Post Emmett. With 14 posts and as youthful as your avatar appears, your well on your way to success on this board. Stick with it.