Hook Question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Fradd, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Fradd

Fradd New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im sure this has already been on here before but i have just recently switched to circle hooks because of the good talk on here from many. alot of people say to let the fish run with the bait and allow the hook to hook itself, so does this mean that fishing with a tight line would be kind of pointless .

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    no I fish tight line with circles and let the fish "load the pole" when it goes down and stays down your get'em hooked.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    When they run with it they will load the rod up (bend it down) on a tight line. I then usually reel down on them before taking the rod out of the holder. Seldom miss one this way.
    Welcome to the BOC.

4. Fradd

Fradd New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for your advise..... i didnt want to allow my line to go free because of the swift current that i sometimes fish in the river.

5. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for posing the question, it's always helpful for the topic to be brought up again!

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i agree with the rod loading up but sometimes im on a bank where you cant use rod holders. So i will lay the rod flat and fish with clickers, and when the fish runs just turn the clicker off and slowing lift the rod up. havent missed a fish yet with that method and welcome to the BOC

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh, and welcome to the BOC, Aaron!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Bluejay has given you a proven answer to your question.

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc!!

10. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC I cant add anything on Circle Hooks that these guys haven't covered good luck

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Welcome to the BOC. Also if your rods have a soft tip on them. It allows the rod to load better with circle hooks. I have one rod that does not have much give to it even on the tip, It does not work as good with circle hooks.
    Pete

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Aaron. Circle hooks usually have the fish hooked when the pole has bent down. Sometimes nothing is full proof but a circle hook is a very good start to catching more fish!

13. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i use a tight line and like everyone else has said i let the fish load up the rod good before i pick it up and start reeling slowly !!!!

ive seen alot of guys pick up the reel and start cranking really fast and they seem to lose alot of fish that way ...........i think they pull the hook out of the fishes mouth so id say it is IMPORTANT to pick up the rod and reel SLOWLY !!!

14. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    dont set the hook hard,reel up line till you feel the fish then slowly reel in 2 or 3 turns, then set the hook with a steady sweep

15. TheFlatheadWhisperer

TheFlatheadWhisperer New Member

State:
    ohio
    if u already tight line. your halfway there. when your rod doubles over just pick it up and reel.

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found it is best with circles to either leave them in the rod holder and just wait till the pole is bent in half or when you see it bending leave them in the holders and start to reel in slowly. If you are bank fishing I set my drag so it is not too tight but enough for a hook set then I use my clickers when I hear them running I just start to reel in slowly. Hookup ratio is great. If you just get pecks at your bait DON'T TOUCH THE ROD. Wait until the fish picks it up and makes a move. A lot of times your bait is actually bigger than the fish can swallow and they chew it down to size before actually swallowing the bait.