Hook opinion

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by rat fink, May 27, 2006.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    im thinking about trying some 1/0 true turn hooks on mu bobby poles with a yo yo dose aney one have an opioin on thes hooks put in your 2 cence and yes i know i cant spell:shame:

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont like true turn hooks at all. I tried using them several times and have had terrable time with missing fish,those hooks are really bad about that.someone else may have a different opinion but i dont recomend them at all.

3. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    0 pro /1 con aney one else have an opion i relie dont wanna stub my toe hear:beat_brick: im problie gonna buy some aney way and make up my one mind but ammount is the question

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Just buy a few, if you don't like them then you aren't out much. I myself lean toward Kahles. I also have been trying circles and they are pretty good but my favorite is the Kahles.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't rightly know that the style of hook makes much of a difference. If that catfish is gonna get caught, it will be caught no matter the hook style. The only thing which would concen me is the size... 1/0 is pretty small for cats. I know you can catch small cats on larger hooks, but I have seen plenty of 2/0, 4/0 and 5/0 hooks straightened out like you took a hammer and anvil to them. I think you should consider larger hooks. But, thats just my opinion.

6. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks and with the bad press these things are getting i think ill just get a few and why im said 1/0 is im going after channel at least thats all i can catch in that spot on the river

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ? They have worked for me. try um you might like um. my friend borrowed my r&r and cought a 45#er :angry: on a 4/0 true turn.

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I haven't had much luck either. While I myself do not believe in coincidence, I do belive that you can shift probability in your favor by using a good hook. If you plan on using J hooks, I personally prefer Gamakatsu Octopus hooks (6/0 for smaller fish, and 8/0-10/0 for bigger fish) or Gamakatsu Big River bait hooks. As for circles, Gamakatsu Octopus circle 4/0 and 8/0 are excellent, as well as Cabela's King Kat circle hooks. I hope this helps :big_smile:

9. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for all your input i think ill buy 1 small pack and see how thay do

10. Go ahead and try them. Just don't sink a weeks salary in them LOL. Maybe you'll have better luck than I have. I've used them on bream, bass, crappie and cats. I've not seen where they are any better than any other j hook. I actually feel that there is no difference in them other than a crooked shank to catch the eye and the wallet of fishermen.
    Now if you want a hook that works as advertised and will actually increase your hook up rate coupled with a very big plus of less gut hooked fish then you should try the Gamakatsu Octopus Circles. They work as advertised if you use them as directed.

11. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've tried all kinds of hooks and so far I've had the best luck on the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle's. They're extremely sharp, thin wire so they don't kill live baits as fast, and just as strong as the thick wire hooks. I've caught small 1-2 pound blues on #6's and #8's. All around favorite size is probably the #7's. They're a little expensive but well worth the money. Chris

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive tried them when Tru Turn first came out. They work really good when fished suspended under a bobber, but are worthless in my opinion when fished on the bottom. Big striper fishermen have a lot of success, because the stripers are quick strike and run hard type of fish, which fits the design of Tru-Turn hooks. Just my opinion.

13. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I would also reccomend maybe a larger hook than 1/0, you will tend to get alot of gut hooked fish with a hook that small.

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd never catfish with a hook that small. The smallest hooks I use are the trebles on the dip baits I use trying to catch eating size cats. I guess if you just bought a few of them you wouldn't be out too much cash.

15. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    im just going for eating sized channel on bobby poles/bank pols nuthing like mobie dick just 2 or 3 for dinner wile im going after mobie dick with my rod and reel :big_smile:

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    TRU TURN.........................NO NO NO are you crazy those hooks SUCK!!!!!!!!!

17. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have almost always used Tru Turn hooks when using rubber worms for bass, and used them for catfishing many years ago. They are decent hooks, but I prefer khales now.