Hook in the hand

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by metalfisher, Jul 16, 2006.

1. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    This morning while pulling my trotline, I was hooked several times in my left hand. None was very serious or went in passed the barb so I simply yanked them out and kept going.

I have noticed that the number of times I get hooked depends on whether my hands are really wet or not. The longer my hands are wet, the softer the skin gets; which I guess is why the hooks catch.

Luckily I have never been hooked bad. I once saw a guy walking up from Storm Creek Lake run off in Arkansas with a crappie jig hanging out of the side of his left eye socket. He got snagged by a fellow fisherman.

Any of you guys ever get hooked bad? Do you have any recommendations on how to handle it?

I was fishing alone this morning and after I got home, I began to think what could happen if I had gotten really hooked. !6 ft boat has a lot of momentum and I would hate to have to try to stop it by pulling againts a hook in my hand or arm.

Robert

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think I'm in the same boat as you. I have pierced the skin many times but never bad enough to get the barb hooked where I couldn't get it out.

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've been hooked in my arm before by my little brother, it wasn't to bad. Another thing that hurts bad are line cuts OUCH! and they hurt for a couple days.

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    My Great Aunt died about 4 years ago while running a trotline with her husband when a large fish took off and pulled her out of the boat. Before help could get to her she drowned with a hook in her hand.

May I suggest the use of a gaffs to lift the trotline or something similar and fish handling gloves. I do not advocate the use of gaffs on cats(probably gonna get flack from some here)...just safety lifting the trot lines. I would hate to see something like that happening to my BOC Brothers and Sisters. I personally do not use trotlines so I am not sure what is the safest way to handle them...but that event sure has bothered me since it happened. So I thought I would throw a suggestion out there for your consideration.

5. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
  6. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    that must have hurt :crazy: i run 10 ot 15 foot trot lines in 4 or 5 feet of water so drounding isnt an issue but i have had a cat take offon me amd jam my hook in my hand where that flap of skin between your thum and pointer finger i use trot line clips so i just snaped it off the line to remove it you can push the barbe all theway trew {if its not all ready} and snip off the barbe abd pull it out the way it came in or if your macho cut your line at the hook and pull the eye of the hook trew itll save you a 5 cent hook lol:lol:

7. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    You can remove regular J-type hooks from yourself fairly easily. I've had to do it once on a #8 that went into the heel of my hand past the barb.

Make a long loop of mono around the hook and slide it down to the bend, above the barb. Then

Hold the eye of the hook down, press the eye down against your skin and hold it.

Pull on the loop of mono that is around the bend of the hook, pulling the point out opposite the way it went in while holding down tight on the eye.

The hook point will pop out when you pull on the loop of mono.

The only tough part, is if you hook yourself in the hand as you need two hands to do this and if you are by yourself, you have to improvise. I was hooked in the heel of my left hand.

I looped the mono around my belt on my pants and then around the hook and held the eye down with the fingers of my right hand and just pulled the hook against that mono loop on my belt. The hook popped right out.

One of those bass guys on TV with a show used to hook himself with a big worm hook on his show just to demonstrate this. It works.

8. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    make sure you have a knife on your belt to cut the mainline or hooklink. then you can go about unhooking yourself and any fish

I have had clients with cap hooks past the barb in the index finger before, not fun, if its one you can push through and cut the point and barb off then you are laughing

:eek:oooh:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My gad Brent, What a picture. I was hooked identically by the same type lure in 1974. Thought it was going to tear my ear off. I have been hooked many, many times...usually by myself. I have found out through experience the best way to treat the situation, if the barb has penetrated, is to push the point of the hook and barb out of the skin, then cut the hook behind the barb. Hurt???? No, not really... I think the brain puts the body into a mild case of shock when it see's the lure or hook in the flesh. If you keep your cool, you can handle the situation and treat the wound as any puncture wound. Make sure your tetnus shots are up to date. If someone else hooked you like that, fish on the other side of him. LOL

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Got hooked in the lower jaw a long time ago with a J-hook, don't remember the size, pushed it on through and cut the barb and kept on fishing, made my bud change ends of the boat with me.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    circle hooks suck to get hooked with...i've had em in my fingers up to the bend.....the only way to get em out is to sacrifice a bit of skin lol

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    try teaching a camp with 24 middle schoolers who don't know how to watch their hooks... lol top that off by only having 100 yards of shore and once one catches a fish they all think that thats where the fish are... so they go there... then i've gotta get the tangles out and get hooked in the process...

Never been hooked deep... but i've got multiple scars to prove the hooks... i think 30 times a week isn't bad for me...

When i'm out fishing by my self i hook my self a bit too.. guess i'm just clumsy/careless sometimes...

13. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back in the mid-eighties I was stationed in Panama City FL. I had a 22' whaler and bragged about it a lot. To afford it I worked part time at a bar. One night I was trying to impress two young ladies with boating and fishing stories. Cut to sunrise...The three of us are about 5 miles out trolling for kings. We hook up a big bull dolphin and I let one of the girls bring it in. She reels it way to close to the rod tip, really loading up the rod. I try and grab the leader with my left hand when the fish get off, immediately straightening the rod and sinking the 7/0 hook into the palm of my hand. The hook is completely sunk flush, with the barb stuck in the joint where the thumb joins the wrist. Nearly blinding pain. I have no idea how I am going to get the boat back thru the jetty. I had twin throttles and you had to work them and the wheel to get thru the big swells. Of course niether girl could drive the boat, I couldn't get anyone to try and pull the hook. One girl did make a couple of half-hearted attempts with the pliers, but quit when she felt resistance. I almost passed put each time. Finally I rembered a half pint of Wild Turkey in the 1st aid kit. 2 big swigs for courage and the rest for disinfectant. I tied some 100lb test leader to the sterring wheel and aroung the hook at the bend. I held onto the eye of the hook with a pair of needle nose. One more sip, a loud yell and I threw myself backwards. It felt like my hand was in a meat gringer with a wasp nest. But the hook was out. About that time the girls started screaming, there was a large chunk of meat stuck on the barb of the hook. One girl, then the other vomit. One managed to get it all over the console. This trip is getting better every minute. I pour some more Wild Turkey/Napalm onto the gapping hole and wrap it with my shirt. I scream a few choice words at the girls and threaten to throw them over if they don't shut up. Not my finest hour. We finally limp back to the base marina. I call my buddy to take the girls home and to help me tie up the boat. I finish off this great adventure with a tetnus shot, 6 stitches, and a bottle of anti-biotics. It still a good scar 20 years later.

14. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I figured there were some war stories out there about hooks. And the possibility of drowning is real anytime we are on the water. Sorry to hear of the lady that died with a hook in her hand.

When I run my lines, I keep them in the water and reach over the side and pull the boat along with the line from left to right. The danger comes in when and unseen big fish suddenly makes a run. My hands are wet and the line slips along until I catch the next drop line. I thought aout wearing gloves but a hooked glove can pull you over too.

Generally, I wear my life vest while running lines but the other day it was in the high 90s so I didn't. It is when a person is unprepaired that things can go wrong. The advice of carrying a pair of pliers of side cutters and a knife is good advice.

Some years ago, I had a ring that had a hooked blade on it. I believe it was designed for a tailor or semstress for cutting thread. I wonder if they are still available?

I have a friend that is a partime duck guide. His partner took some guys out on White river. There were too many guys in the boat and they were all wearing either hip boots or chest waders.

Something happened and the boat nosed under. All were wet but safe, until one macho guy decided he would swim to shore. He let go of the boat and tried to take his hip waders off. He drown.

Guys, if you learn one thing in this thread, let it be this. If you go in the water with chest waders of hip boots, DO NOT TRY TO TAKE THEM OFF!!

Roll over onto you stomache and bend your knees to point your heels to the sky. If your hip boots are rolled down, this will trap the air. There is enough air in chest waders or hip boots to help float you. You cannot use your legs to swim with waders or hip boots. Hang on to the boat and keep those heels to the sky. Most boats now days are designed to float even if full of water.

I appreciate the responses from you guys. There is probably a lot more we could all do to be safer.

Robert

15. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I Got A Bottle Of Xylocaine I Bring With A Tiny Syringe...got It From A Doc. That Lives A Few Houses Down...all I Have To Do Is Take A Lil, Inject It 3-4 Times Around The Hook...and...yank...sream...curse...disinfect...and Bandage. The Last Time I Went To The Emgcy. Room, The Doc Grabbed The Janitor, Asked Him For A Pair Of Pliers, Injected It, And Yanked The Sucker Out. I Figure Ill Save The Money And Wait Next Time...
    Shaun

16. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    i once had a new popper for bass fishin i bought and it was about 10 bucks nice one real nice, and it got caught and i said heck i aint letting this one get away so i pulled n pulled and it came flying at my face and stuck in my chin past the barb so i had to push it all the way through and then clip the barb off but i got the popper back and still use it lol

17. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Folks down here run limb lines a lot. Many years ago I ran into one while running the cut between oxbow lakes. A 5/0 saltwater hook got impaled in my life jacket and would have jerked me from the boat had I not cut power quickly. If you use limb lines, either take them up when you are done fishing, or wrap them around the limb, and affix the hook so it is not a danger to anyone. What a mess I would have been in if I didn't have my life jacket on! As far trotlines, the post above makes a good point about raising with a gaff, and using fish gloves. Take your time, don't get in a big hurry, use good lighting so you can see what is going on. An ounce of prevention can prevent a hook to the flesh. Good fishin', Jack :smile2:

18. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Having a knife with you that you can get to fast and easy. Knife very important.

19. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Two stories,

One was my Dad, he and his buddy were checking a trotline in the Walnut river. The line was set in water about waist deep in the middle, and about thigh deep at the ends. They had a LARGE flathead on the line about 20 feet from the bank. I was just a little fart, so I was watching from the bank. The flathead was very strong, plus he had a lot of current helping him. My Dad could not wrestle the fish close enough to get hold of him, so he straddled the main line to use his legs to help limit the fish's range. He was pulling up on the line, trying to bring the fish to the surface. The fish made a hard run and ripped the line from my Dad's hands and the next hook down the line went into the back of my Dad's leg. Not only did the hook go in all the way to the eye, the fish was still pulling and thrashing about like crazy! My Dad was screaming and cussing, but still trying to get the fish. His buddy then took out his pocket knife and cut the line, so at least the fish would not pull against the hook in my Dad's leg. They subsequently lost the fish, and my Dad was PISSED! He cussed Jerry all the way up the bank. When we got to the truck and looked, you could just barely get ahold of the eye of the hook, 9/0 by the way, my Dad (who is WAY tougher than I am by the way!) dug the hook out with his pocket knife and pliers, and went back to checking lines!

The other is my leg. When I was about 6 I was riding my bike with a stick, about 6 feet of the only line I could find, and the only hook I could find in the shed at the time. 30lb test with a 6/0 Eagle Claw hook. I had the line wrapped around the stick, and the hook hooked into the stick and all was laid across my handlebars as I peddled away towards the pond. The hook jiggled loos and began to swing around, but I was in to big of a hurry to stop and fix it. Long story short, the hook dangled below my leg, and hooked the back of it as I went down with the pedals. Then when I stopped, I could not get my leg down to catch myself, because the line was too short, and it pulled the hook deeper until the line broke. I had to go to the ER to get the hook pulled out, never forget that day!