Hook discussion Octopus vs Khale

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by c5killer, Sep 18, 2009.

1. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    I have used gama shinner or khales for the last 2 years and (knock on wood) have never had a fish come off after it was hooked. I have had equipment failure like a broken swivel and line that has lost fish.

I used the gama octopus last weekend and had 2 fish unhook themselves during the fight. I was just wondering what others have experineced.

I haven't given up on the octopus's yet, but I don't like lossing fish once I hook one. If it happens again the octopus's will be going bye-bye!

Anyway just wondering what you guys think?

Thanks,
    Sean

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    They are both very good hooks in my opinion.IF I fish cut i usauly use octopus and live bait I like to use the kahl.Gamma has a big hook that works very well for large live bait called the big river hook but at $6 something bucks for 2 of them they are out of my range.

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Perhaps you need a bigger hook? I use Gama Octo Circles exclusively for live bait and never had a problem. Make sure the hook is large enough to hold the bait and still provide room for the fish to get hooked. The gape of the hook (distance between the point and the shank) is very important. I use 8/0 for gills up to 5-6" with no problems.

4. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    khale all the way...just like you said once they are hooked they are HOOKED...

since I switched to khales I have lost less fish do to a bad hook set....

5. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Octopus and Octopus Circles are different animals I believe, if you aren't using the circles you still have to set.

6. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    I'm a hook setter!!!

I rarely fish with multiple rigs, but when I do I use circle hooks. The hooks I use are plenty big.

I notice when taking the fish off the hook, the octopus are easyer to get out then the khales.

hmmm..

Sean

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    in my opinion kahles are best for live bait if thats what your using.

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    all of my fishing is drifting and i tried the circles at first. missed alot of fish. i only use kahles now. they work best for me.

9. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    Just so yall know the octo's I have are not the circle type they are "J" shaped. Need to find some more gama shiners! What size do you think? 10/0??? should be big enough!

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THE KING KAELS, OR THE OCTOPUS HOOKS BUT I WOULD USE TEN KAELS, OR GAMMA CIRCALS, BUT ALL THREE ARE GOOD CHOICES BRO, BUT IF YOUR DRIFTING ID USE CIRCALS,