Hook color

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by CATCHARMER, Nov 24, 2008.

1. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    does the color matter. i was at bass pro and all they had were silver in 10/0 circles. they had several other colors in 5/0 to 9/0. what about shiner hooks?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you're fishing at night it shouldn't make any difference at all and if during the day I haven't really noticed a difference between the black and red hooks. Haven't really used any silver/stainless hooks during the day though.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    IMO color doesent matter to cats they will bight on a shinny hook tied to a white rope.

4. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Richard:

In my opinion, Color of the Hooks and Line is very important to Catch Fishermen, But not at all important to Catch fish. I have sold and used Black, Red, and silver Hooks and I can tell absolutely no difference. And I am an OLD MAN.

Thats My Opinion and everyone Has one:

Gene

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I agree with all that...
    I have all kinds of variations on my tackle, silver, black, red hooks,
    nickel plated, black , brass swivels,

green , yellow, red, black fishing line mono and braid

heck, my truck is red...

never know which pole will get hit,, I think it depends on what's for supper!!

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The color can make a difference, just look at striper fishermen, and their results fishing different colored lures in deep water. But for catfisherman there are some things that come into play that complicate the situation.

Catfish are primarily attracted to the bait, mostly the scent or taste it gives off in the water. Anything else is secondary, and has a minor influence on bite at best. Now back to the striper fishermen.... they swap out colors and can see an immediate effect, but for catfishermen, you swap out a hook, but you still have the same tasty fresh shad or skipjack out there, and any effect from the hook color on the bite will be minuscule, to the point where you won't have any way to measure it. A red hook may give you a 1% boost one day, but maybe the next day they prefer something shiny or something black... How are you going to tell which hook is an advantage on a given day? If you could it might be worth matching the hook color to the bite, but there are enough other variables that you really can't, and because of that it's just not worth worrying about.

I like red hooks and will buy them if the price is the same, but I won't pay a penny more for them.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I see no difference in the hook color while cat fishing.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i agree with that, i don't think that catty's care about hook color as long as there is some bait on it:wink:

9. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    thats exactly how id say it lol

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some nickle or silver hooks can be dyed with Spinner Bait metal dye. I dye all of my kahle hooks black or red.