Hook color

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Douglas Foster, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I notice several companies manufacture different color hooks. On Ebay last night, I saw Gama's in nickel, black, bronze, blue, chartruess, green, flat red, and shiny red, that's suppose to look like blood to a fish. Well, I'm using Cajun red line because it's invisible under water, yet the fish can see this red, bloody looking hook. I'm confused. What do you think, is the color of your hook important? Will a shiny hook scare a wary catfish. Should I use something that blends in with the lake bottom or do these colors make the fish less cautious and more hungry? What do you recommend. Thanks, Doug the Confused

2. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    Never noticed a difference. IF the hook has bait on it thats what attracts them anyway imo.

3. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep i think that especialy if you are fishing in more than a couple feet of water or it is somewhat stained/muddy itll make no difference at all

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it may also have something to do with the diameter of line vs. a hook (red) as for other colors I think it just more "flash" for attacting attention to the bait. I wonder if adding glitter to chicken livers would help? I have to try this now.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Don't see it making any difference for catfishing,bait either covers most of the hook,or it has no movement,or..live bait provides the flash/color.

6. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I think the only reason they color hooks and line so many different
    colors are for sales more product out there to sell
    I'm sure a couple of colors make a differents but not all would

7. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I havent noticed a bit of difference in color of hooks, just a way of selling products.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    It is sales / marketing ploy, thats all. The hook color dosen't matter in my opinion. As far as the color of the line, I believe is totaly different especially in clear water. I use flourocarbon leaders 30#, flourocarbon becomes invisable in water. I also know that other species of fish can be line shy, not completely sure about cats though. I have caught cats on red, silver, bronze, gold hooks as well, but have noticed a difference with flourcarbon leaders.

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    If a catfish will bite a chunk of bait on a big hook tied to white twine as large as a pencil, then that should be a clue that nothing matters to mister whiskers except the bait.

10. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dont know if it helps the catfish bite, but the crappies love my red hooks, lol.

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Doug;
    If your fishing for CATFISH, I've yet to see hook color make a difference.
    The "Red Hook" theory is something that I heard of that came up not too long ago amongst the Bass Tourneyment Fishing Folks.
    I'm not sure about other species of fish other than Catfish but I am sure there are people out there that do know better and can advise you.
    I've just never seen it make a difference to a Catfish. Honestly, I think the bigger the "Cat" the less picky they are!!
    I can tell you that I have seen the size of the bait offered to "Cats" to make a difference, but not hook color.
    One other thing, DO be sure to keep your hooks S-H-A-R-P. Now that does make a bit of a difference! :smile2:
    Hope this helps you a bit.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is an interesting fact about the color red in water:

Depending on water clarity, red looks black beginning at 2 to 10 feet under water. Red is one of the first colors blocked by water.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Yep it all makes a difference, I heard two big cats talking, they said, hey look at that line and hook, must be somebody fishing...ROFLOL. All they care about is that they can eat it. I've caught cats using bright yellow, blue flouresant, green, tan, black and white heavy cord. They don't seem to care as long as there is food on the end of it.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    On the one hand, the folks at Cajun want you to believe that their red fishing line becomes invisible under water.

But on the other hand, the folks at Gamakatsu want you to believe that their red hooks entice fish to bite.

So which one is it?

15. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Most of the hooks I use are red and I seem to catch I can't tell the difference.

That Cajun red line doesn't seem to be super red so maybe it does disapear. I don't use Cajun red though. You have to go to cabelas or gander mountain around here to see it, wallyworld doesn't carry it!

16. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Cajun red line absorbs light making it disapear yet the red hooks reflect light making it red under water.

17. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, for one thing, I have never heard of a warry catfish LOL. I think that if they will bite on stinkbait, they dont care too much about what is going in their mouths.

Anyways, I have fished with black, silver, red, gold, all sorts of hooks, and none of them did any better or any worse than the others. I like the Gamakatsu black nickel hooks just because, but the other colors would work just as well.

As for the red thing, it doesnt make a lick of difference to fish at all; it is just a marketing scam. Every fish that I have ever caught has come on a plain colored hook, and the same goes for everyone that I have ever fished with. You will have to take my word on this one, but me and my buddies have caught a lot of fish too. I would like to note that red is the first color that is filtered out in the water, but it doesnt have anything much to do with Cajun Red Line. Great line, and great color, but its mostly the transparency of the line that does the trick, as well as the line blending in with the algae or moss or whatever is in the water.