Hook color preference

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Zing, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am new to BOC and was wondering if anyone has noticed a differance in the color of hooks that they have used. I really like the red one (1st), bronze (2nd), silver as a last choice. What are your opinons on this?

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome to the BOC. color of the hook doesn't matter as much as how sharp it is. but the red ones do look cool...lol.

3. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont think color really madders but i have cought a lot of fish on red hooks. I think it is how sharp the hook is and not the color :)

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First of all and foremost....Welcome to the BOC!!!!

Now to your hook question!
    Red hooks are just that, RED! They are designed to catch fishermen (eye catcher)
    Bronze hooks are to thin and wirey, Not strong enough and are easily straightened by large fish!
    Stainless(silver) hooks are very tough and if you can find a brand that has sharp stainless hooks. Eagleclaw makes a good one.
    I use 7/0 to 10/0King Kahles, all eagleclaw. If the fish are hammering the bait, I will sometimes use a dreaded circle hook in a Gamma 8/0.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to the BOC Rich. I've tried mixing up the colors, and it made no differnce to me.:doubt::0a22:

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    MY question for red hooks is well if you buy the cajun red line it says on the package that red is the first color to disapeer under water. So why do hooks come red wouldnt they just disapeer under the water also . Just a thought.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Richard welcome to the BOC!

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC!!!!

9. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Richard! I like the stainless,but them red ones are pretty. Good Luck!

10. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Forrest!:0a18:Good Luck to ya!

11. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    The red on red hooks dont last, my gamakatsu's get beat up fast. Ive fished red,silver, and black nickel. I try to only buy the black nickel now if I can get them.

12. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    welcome to the BOC........

know the hook question. if the hook is stainless it dont make a difference because they a stronger and most of the time hold a good sharp point.

13. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think that mark has something there. I was reading an article the other day and it said that red will disapear in water after like 10 to 20 feet. Now the article was about line but more so about the color of the line. That would lead one to believe that a red hook is less visible to a fish at a certain depth than another color would be. So I guess having said that I would choose red hooks. Another fisherman caught Ha Ha Ha

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Re hooks vs Red line. Hooks are a solid and light cannot penitrate a solid. However the light goes through the line causing it to disappear. Test shows the cajun red line to disappear at about three feet. I hope this helps.:big_smile:

15. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the replys, I have not read about the red line although, my son (littlebigman), loves it. There could be something to say about the light being able to pass through the line vs the hook. I quess when it all comes down to it, if it is working stay with it. maybe one day or month I will experment with the differant colors and post the results.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There was a time when there werent any color hooks except bronze and tinned and stainless ,the old timers always caught fish on whatever was available to them at the time,go figure

17. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Welcome to BOC,

I would say the most important thing is to first choose a hook that will handle the job...Second, choose a hook to "your" liking, because you've got to have confidence in your equipment before you come to the third thing....Master whatever equipment is your favorite.....Just my opinion....Dwight

18. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

red for sure. the color makes me happy. in the river i would realy doubt that it is even visable, but for lakes Definitely.

19. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I have read that the red hooks may appear to be blood on bait fish. predators such as larger fish are attracted to wounded prey and the red hooks may actually cause a fish to strike the bait.. personally I just like the color !!

20. stuart

stuart New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome. I am new here myself.

I would have to agree that the color is not as important as how sharp it is.