Hook Color - Does it make a difference to fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by MoCatfisher, Oct 1, 2007.

1. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

I know it makes a difference to to some of us Fishermen...but does it really matter to the fish whether the hook is black, bronze, red, or silver? IMO don't think so...

2. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some say that red attracts but normally your hook is full of bait where you cant see it so it wouldn’t matter. For Jigs, It might give you a small advantage, but I don’t think so just for a hook.. It really boils down to a marketing technique.. If the buyer thinks it looks pretty and fancy it will cost you more.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Camoflage, baby, it's all about the camo hooks......:wink:

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Now were talkin Branden. Love those camoed hooks.....

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I believe as long as there is bait on it the color doesn't matter.:0a23:

6. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Originally Posted by BKS72
    Camoflage, baby, it's all about the camo hooks......

Originally Posted by Spoonfish
    Now were talkin Branden. Love those camoed hooks.....

You Rich Westies can afford all the good stuff!!! :wink:

7. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    In my opinion it depends on what type of fishing you are doing. Gold is almost a "MUST" for crappie fishing because so much is exposed when fishing with a small minnow. Anything that isn't rusty will work when covered up with bait. The hooks on artificial bait such as bass plugs are almost always silvery. Probably because of the protective coating.
    Just saying.

8. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I've used red black and bronze. Can't say I've noticed much of a difference:confused2:

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I can't really tell the difference. Although yesterday the gills/small mouth where striking a plain gold hook. I thought they said red was the first color to disappear under water......??????

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas

rusty hooks will hurt your fishing???

11. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Yea that gets me too. When they try and sell you line they say red disappears first but when it comes to hooks it you need red because it provokes a strike because of the "blood" color or something crazy like that. IMO the absolute hooks are sharp hooks, properly sized and matched to whatever size and type fish you are after and bait you are using:big_smile:

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Color matter's in water you can't see 6 inches into? Paint just chips off the red hooks any ways. I have a few gold hooks now because of the paint chipping. Then again that also means they caught some fish on them. As far as red being the first color to disappear. Monofilament fishing line is more transparent meaning light can penetrate and absorb into it. The hooks are in a solid state light is going to reflect off of it. Makes good since to me? I just know one company comes to mind when I think of red hooks and there better then the rest. 1$ a hook not really a bad price to pay for something that works really well. My rig is still cheaper then my bass lures.

13. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

:0a28: Uh-oh...he said the B word...:confuse: :smile2:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I think he meant Bait lures. :wink:

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  16. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Franklin;
    John, if your going after BIG Blues on the Missouri or Mississippi rivers your probably right, but with other species of fish, I'm almost sure that hook color plays a part as does size.
    Your question is one that if asked to 12 different anglers across the states, you would get 12, .... no 20 or more different answers!
    It's one of those questions that you have to narrow down the species, the location, time of year, water conditions, and so on and so fourth!
    But it's an interesting question for debate around the campfire, that much is for sure! :wink:
    Peace Be With You and Yours.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

17. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    The term "rusty hooks" has a two part explanation.

#1 It was my attempt to inject a little humor (which proves to the world why I am NOT a comedian).

#2 My grandpa always said that fish could smell/taste anything that was rusty. I can, so fish definitely can.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    For catfishing hooks i don't see where it makes a difference. whether your bait is wadded up on a red, black, silver, bronze or whatever color hook a catfish could care less. The colored hooks catch fisherman and not fish.

Now that being said i have noticed a difference when fishing sabiki rigs and catching skip jacks. But you are generally reeling these at a pretty fast pace 1 or 2 foot under the surface where the light reflecting off the red hooks trigger more strikes. JMHO

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I figured as much crazy I just wanted to bring up the subject.(my attempt at being sarcastic if you would) If you check out the post by griz the manufacture believes the hook disappears......Then YO-Zuri say pink been the lightest shade of red is the first to disappear.....

20. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I generally have the hook covered when I'm fishing, so it doesn't make a difference in terms of catching. However, I prefer the red hooks because they're a lot easier for me to see when I drop them on the ground.:wink:

-- Rich