Hook Choice

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by cheezemm2, Feb 28, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No, no, no....this is not meant to be a circle hook vs. reg. hook debate at all, so please stay away from that, it's been discussed A LOT!

The real question here is what brand of hook do you swear by, what size, and what type of hook?

I personally have always used a 1/0 from Eagle Claw, plain shank, red hook...considering I'm getting a little more serious this year, I upgraded to some Mustad saltwater stainless Oshag style hooks...

I've had hooks break off in snags, but never on a fish...let's hear what you use!

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use Gamakatsu circles in 7/0, 8/0 when drifting for channels. I use 10/0 octopus and 10/0 King Kahle hooks for live bait fishing for flatheads and I use 10/0 Owner SSW circle hooks for blues on the James and Ohio Rivers.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Eagle Claw 8/0 and 10/0 kahle hooks. And Gamagatsu 8/0 octopus circle hooks. If Gama made a kahle I'd probably use them.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have to go with Gamagatsu & Eagle Claws Lazer Eye Hooks.

Gamagatsu Worm Hooks for all of my Ba$$ fishing & 75% of my Cattin' & Eagel Claws for the rest of my fishing.

:0a23:

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    eagle claw 7/0-9/0 j-hooks. i also used some lasers that were given to me that worked good. they were too expensive for me to justify though when the eagles work just as well.

6. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Mustad makes great hooks ! I like true turns but they bend easy. The stainless true turns arent very sharp. I use eagle claw also but dissapointed in their circle hooks. All brands Japanese hooks pretty good. I dont use just one brand of hook just depends on condition. Red hooks tend to kinda bug the crappie whereas bluegill take them more agressively.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I have used Eagle Claw, True Turn, Owner, Mustad, Daiichi and Gamakatzu
    as well as some offbrands that were on sale. I have had little to complain
    about from any one brand of hook but the general mechanics of hooks
    I've developed some preferences. I have noticed this: as time goes on
    hooks have gotten tougher and far sharper out of the box regardless of
    who makes them. Which ones do I feel better about? Gamakatzu and Daiichi.
    They make really solid hooks that look and function well. However, they
    are not very far ahead of Eagle Claw or Mustad in any department, so I
    tend to spend a few cents less and find the Eagle Claw or Mustads on
    sale most of the time. Oh and for lite work I like Whisker Stickers by Strike
    King. Double barbed Kahle med wire bronzed finish in 2/0 for the eater
    cats! Wonderful for using cheap turkey hot dogs sliced into discs. I think
    Strike King still makes earthworm sausage links for use with them,but I
    haven't found enough difference to warrant buying them. Besides, I
    don't want to eat earthworm sausage by mistake. I might like it.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    For most channel fishing, I like the Gama 6/0 circles, if the fish are getting missed or I figure dinks working me over, Ill downgrade to a size 3/0.
    for blues or on the Ohio river where the cats run bigger, Ill use a 8/0 gama circle, for flatties, i ussually use a Gama 8/0 octopus J hook

Never had one break or even bend.

I have some eagle claw Kahles in a size 8/0 that I will try for live bait flattie fishing this year.

Salmonid

9. hoosiercatguy

hoosiercatguy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use mustad: big gun a very solid hook 4/O or 5/O

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Daiichi Bleeding Bait Hooks for me. Various sizes.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gamakatsu Octopus, circles or regular (depending on the situation), sizes 5/0 up to 8/0 (depending on bait size and target fish).

12. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I can't imagine using a 1/0. That seems way too little. The smallest hook size that I use is an Eagle Claw 5/0 Kahle. The biggest I use is a 8/0 King Kahle.

13. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i use gamakatsu octopus, 4/0 to 10/0 depending on what or where i am fishing for, i just bought some of the sickle hooks from our sponsor here and will try them out as soon as the ice is off, they are very sharp and i like the design of them

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Gamakatsu circles and Kahles 4/0 to 8/0

15. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    I'm not into one brand over the others. All of the premium hooks are good. What is important is that they are sharp. I usually test a hook by sticking it into my thumb. If it goes in without dimpling the skin, I'll use it. By the way, I prefer inline circles over offsets.

16. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I prefer Gamakatsu, because they are so sharp, strong, and don't rust, but I have used a few Eagle Claws and they seem to work fine. I use anywhere from 5/0 to 9/0.

17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I swore by 8# Gama Circles for the river, but I actually ordered a pack of 50 8# saltwater billfish circle hooks that work just as well, and they were dirt cheap for 16$ for 50 hooks. The only difference is they are not snelled, but i haven't seen a problem with them yet, plated with the same Black nickel coating, I like them alot, a little wider gap as well.

18. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have circle hooks of all sizes and I have many other hooks of different sizes, It depends on where I am fishing, the current, what I am fishing for and bait I am using. I mostly start out with circle hooks and go from there in Current. I have used them in non current areas, but lost a lot of fish if there is not a current, probably about 50%.

I have read where the jig hooks without the jigs are good for cat fishing and plan on doing some of that this year. I have stocked up on those too.

I do not really follow a certain name brand, I get different name brands and try them if I don't like them I don't get them again.

19. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Definately Eagle Claw King Kahles 8/0- 10/0 for me. Increased my hook up a bunch since I switched to them. I highly recommend you try them. rspd507

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Gamakatsu or recently I've been trying out the Team Catfish but I've not fished with them enough to call them my favorite.