Hook and Weight

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by somozajc, Oct 3, 2008.

1. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    I'm fairly new to fishing, but I was wondering if you cat experts could help. How do you set up you leader? Which hook do you use? Which weight do you use? What type of line do you use, "lbs"? How long of a leader do you use? Also if you can distinguish the difference in set up for shore fishing and bout fishing. Thanks.

Also if you have any diagrams, that would be most appreciated.:big_smile:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use 30 pound mono for my leader. This is the same as the line my pole is spooled with. for a hook I go with a 8/0-13/0 circle hook. The leader is anywhere from 6-24 inches long based on fishing conditions/location. Sinker also varies based on conditions/location but 3 oz is my starting weight and I adjust up or down from there.

3. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    I mostly go fishing at Patagonia Lake. No current at all. The lake is not as bis as the lakes you guys are usto up north. I don't know if that helps out at all on determinig what set up I should use?

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I usually use a basic Carolina rig with anywhere from a 1oz-8oz no roll sinker. I use 30lb line for my mainline and if I'm fishing the river I'll use 40lb for my leader. I use anywhere from a 8-16" leader.
    The way I set mine up is:
    Bead
    No Roll Sinker- Size depending on current
    Bead
    Swivel
    Leader Line- Usually 40lb mono but sometimes i'll use 30lb average 12-14" long
    Hook- I match the hook size to my bait. Usually anywhere from 2/0 - 10/0

5. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If patagonia is like most Az lakes its full of snags with a rocky bottom. I use a 40 lb braid for main line three way swivel with a 30 lb mono leader for the hook and a 10 lb mono to tie a weight on so if you snag your weight you can break off easier.

6. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hey man just long on 2 youtube and type in flathead fishin rigs and it should pull up some videos of what u should use