Hook and leader storage???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 16, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I recently snelled abunch of assorted hooks and can not figure out the best way to stort them with out getting all of the leaders tangled up. I sorted simular hooks and put them in a 1" baggy but still the leaders are a mess when I try to get 1 out. Any suggestions on how to keep these from tangling so badly? I have maybe 5-8 hooks per baggy at this point....

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    go to a dollar store and get a box of ziptop sandwich bags. then put a single hook and leader in a bag and write what size hook it is on the bag with a sharpie. keep all those bags in a gallon sized bag and you're set.

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i use little 3x3 ziplock and put one rig in a bag. you can get about 100 of them for 2bucks

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  5. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I second that. On days that I am not fishing I sit and tie up leaders complete with swivel. I throw a bead in there to put on the line to protect the knot from the weight. All goes in a little baggie. What I love the most about this is that is cuts down the re-rig time after I snag plus I am able to carry a ton in one of the little pouch bags. Keeps everything nice and tidy as well

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Zip-Lok bags are too flimsy. The hooks will snag into them easily.

I use a "worm binder" that bass fishermen use for worm rigs. It is a soft side ring binder that hold heavy weight Zip-Lok bags. I put a label on each bag for the different size hooks and place 4-5 rigs per bag.

The bag also has room for various weights, swivels, and even leader material.

Here is an example of one larger than the model I have:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/con.../products/gear/bags/broadway_worm_binder.html

This is without a doubt the easiest, most compact, and clutter free way to store pre-tied rigs.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
  8. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I USE A CD CASE...ONE LEADER PER SLOT.....:wink::wink::wink:

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Tried a lot of different ways,like a piece of styro from a packing crate.Slits in one end to catch the swivel,stick the hook in the other end.:wink:

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i used to take a piece of cork and stick my snelled hooks in that, sort of keeps them from gettin all tangled up, anymore i just pre-rig a couple at a time and keep them in my bag

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I use a piece of swim noodle about a foot long. I bury the hook in the side, wrap the leader around the noodle, and hold in place with a big headed straight pin through the loop. You can get a lot of leaders on a 12" noodle.
    I also put a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe through the middle of the noodle with caps on the ends to keep several glow sticks.

12. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    It was your video that taught me how to snell the hooks, I guess I got so excited about snelling my hooks that I forgot to watch the rest of the video....thanks! Your videos are great and I have enjoyed and learned a lot from them!

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I GET THOSE LITTLE CRAFT BAGS AT THE HOBBY SHOP.THEY ARE 3X3 INCHES AND PUT MY LEADERS IN THOSE THEN I GOT A CD CASE AND PUT THE BAGS IN THE CD CASE .

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I basically use what I already had at the house. This holds 100 rigs and whatever else I need in it. I don't have a problem with the hooks snagging the bags or I wouldn't do it. I can see it happening, depending how you pull them out. I like it , it works, and I can see everything when I open it..no flipping through pages etc. Each slot holds a stack of the same size/type of rig. If I'm fishing someone else's boat I put a few sinkers in one pocket and a few hooks in another at one time and I can change broken rigs in a flash, no digging into tackel boxes, bags etc.

All my rigs are basically Carolina rigs so this is easier than say drifting where you need floats but you can still arrange it to fit those needs just as easy, just cant put the floats on the leader till your rigging up.

15. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Very neat set up! Thanks for the information, I appriciate it.