hook and cuts

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jun 3, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had a problem and lost the hardest drag slipping bite i ever had,due to this,i dont know how big your cuts should be for gamma 8 ot, i used a big skip head hooked in the lips, he slammed my poll down and ripped drag, picked it up, nothing, something is going on with me and circals, if any blue pro has a photo of the ideal way to size a cut to mach the hook it would be of great help, my bro dan has the same prob,

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You want as much of the hook gap exposed as you can..Hook the skip head through the tough part of the lower lip at the end..That should allow for a better hook set for the circle hook..

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats what i did, mabey my drag was to loose, the current, probly put more weght on him, 14 0z wouldent hold

4. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Maybe it was just a big ol'hog... remember the bone plate/jaw of the lip is pretty thick on a big cat and a circle usually isn't big enough to get behind it to circle around it. So if the fish slams the bait and clamps on it hard with his jaws not letting the bait slide in his mouth, it can then release the bait without letting the hook have a chance to work. Usually the hook and bait slide to the corner of the mouth where it's soft and "thinner flesh" and the circle will do it's job.

This can happen with any hook, however some other types of hooks might have a wide enough gap to potentialy get over and around the jawbone hooking the fish as the bait leaves the mouth.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea there a huge hook made by gama im wanting to try, there called bait holders, they will do the job

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jake....I have a few hooks I have been experimenting with called Big river in a 12/0....its a monster of a hook and has the most wicked point I have ever seen on a hook.

I still use the King Kahles for flatheads and the circle hooks for blues with cut baits. I just have to make sure that my bait isnt too big for my hook. Its good to have several options in hooks and sizes, styles. Good Luck!:big_smile:

7. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    If you're right there with the rods to set the hook, it's usually safe to use a big J or kahle hook and not worry about gut hooks. I rarely gut hook catfish.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i never gut hook with a kael ever, i get to them fast, as soon as my bite starts im ready to set it,, im heading out tonnight

9. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Then I'd try to stick them hard with a nice big hook and see what happens. I rarely miss a fish on circles but my brother doesn't like them so we don't use them. Good luck.

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    For catching smaller fish on small baits I like 3/0 circles but for Big Blues I like the Gamma Big River Bait Hooks and not just one but a 2 hook snell rig. I also like King Khales. I've yet to try the big sized sickles though but I bet there good.another hook that looks pretty good is the Charlie Brown Hook that Wild Wolf sells.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i found out what i was doing wrong on circals, i was piking the rod up way to soon, by accident i learned to not get in a hurry, wait for it to slam then sloly walk to it and give it a tug,

12. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    :wink:

13. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    don't walk to slowly to it. you may lose a rod!!if you see it slam down it might be a good idea to get to it in a hurry! shane

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    When i use Gammas i put the rod in a good rod holder and let the hook set it self.When i tried to set the hook i would loose alot of fish that way.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YEALSO LEARNED, IF IT DOESENT LOAD THEIR NOT ON, ITS GOT TO LOAD UP I SEE IT BOUNCING AND I WENT TO IT THINKING ITS HOOKED,LOL I KNOW NOW WEN THEIR HOOKED THAT ROD STAYES DOWN FOR A WHILE AT LEAST TEN SECONDS

16. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Your all over it now man.:wink:

17. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    ya know I've been seeing those Big River hooks in 12/0. I have never personally used anything over a 7/0 and I just recently in the past month started using those. I just have never caught anything that needed a hook that big. My only double digit fish are a 15 lb channel, 12 lb blue, 12 lb drum, 10 lb largemouth and 50 lb carp. I have been shooting for the bigs in the james lately and I have had a couple monster hits that maybe if I had a larger hook I would've caught them. so im debating on hooking a 6 inch plus bluegill on that 12/0 big river or a nice alewive head, etc. Sorry for jacking the thread just expressing my thoughts amd interests :wink:

18. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    my take on circles is this ....... if u don't use a carolina rig or some variance of a carolina rig , the fish is gonna feel the resistance of the weight and drop the bait .....if u are using 14 oz , that will surely have enough resistance for the fish to wanna drop the bait ....................my guess is , using a standard three way swivel set up , lot of fish drop the bait when they get the slack out and feel the weight ....... especially them crafty ole spotted yellow flathead fish...:crazy:

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you need that much weight to hold bottom, every (small) fish is going to hit hard.

The fish have to turn away from you to get hooked with a circle. I've been letting them run a bit more as I learn more also. The rod bends over and and the clicker is going nuts and often they only take out a few feet of line. It sounds like it's 50 yards and it is more like 20 feet. Another quirk of the circle is that they have to be able in inhale the bait to get good hookups. If they just chaw on it, it takes a long time to hookup.

I've been playing in a nice current break lately and I can't get the fish to turn around and get hooked. I ordered some big regular hooks. It seems like you just need to be ready for the situation.

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I disagree with this technique. I would not give it a tug at all or walk slowly to it. As soon as you here that clicker going get that pole in your hand and if the fish is still running just start to reel it in. Don't set the hook, tug or jerk at all, just reel in. Personally I almost never miss a fish with circles if it is running and I just pick the pole up and reel in. If they run and then stop before you get the rod in your hands you could have trouble with circles also. I have seen more people miss fish on circle hooks than any other hook and it is always because they are so set on setting the hook or jerking. In my opinion if you want to set the hook or give it a tug use kahle hooks.

Also could it have been a gar? Around here we have gar that will pick up your bait and run like a mad man but as soon as you try to set the hook the bait comes free.