hooded merganser mount ?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by CKT, Dec 26, 2007.

1. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    I killed a hooded merganser and am probably getting it mounted any suggestions on how i should get it mounted to show the white hood?? any recommendations on a taxidermist in NC?

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    CKT yea hooded mergansers are pretty to look at but are poor table fair. They eat fish and it gives them one heck of a strong taste. I would not shoot one unless I wanted one to mount. Standing on a log with their crown lifted makes a pretty mount on a hooked merganser. One of the best waterfowl taxidermist is just right down the east road from you, I'll pm you with the info for he is not a sponsor of this site. Hows the hunting been for ya?

3. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    Well ive only been duck hunting twice this year and Christmas eve was the best morning i have had. My buddy done well on Christmas morning and a few other mornings in the earlier season. Im going wed thur fri of this week with that cold front coming in ! hope to get into them atleast one day ill post it !

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    If he's good, do you know what he charges?

5. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I'll pm you with some info.

6. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Can't help you with taxidermist but I had one mounted for my son a few years back(his first "duck"). Here is what the guy who did his did to it.

Attached Files:

7. 07Fatboy

07Fatboy New Member

State:
    KY
    I'd do some type of standing, preening or swimming mount cause when they are flying, their hood is down. I agree with the others, they sure are neat to look at but ain't no good to eat, that's for sure.

8. BigMuddyOne

BigMuddyOne New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're not going to mount it, Don't shoot. You can cook them and serve them to inlaws or uninvited party guests. Just keep track of them on the grill.
    I like the swimming mount with a little habitat seen. Got to get the hood up. Don't shoot a hen, they don't even mount well.

9. Talkinquack

Talkinquack New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I killed a hoodie this year. I found a piece of drift wood and I think I'm gonna have him mounted standing on the drift wood with his hood flared up. PM me your email and I'll send you a pic of one my buddy had done. It looks awesome.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NOW I HAVE SEEN A PICTURE OF A HOODED WHAT EVER THE HELL IT WAS !!!

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I never realized before, but they are really pretty ducks. Thanks guys for posting those pictures.