Honoring our Veterans

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sassafrass, Nov 2, 2005.

1. sassafrass

sassafrass New Member

State:
    Big Flat AR.
    : : FW: One of the best e mails

This particularly poignant given the protests in Washington this last weekend.

Major Avignon
    President
    Water Inc
    (800) 322-9283, ext. 121
    fax (310) 885-4385
    major@waterinc.com
    www.waterinc.com

It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,

who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the reporter,

who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet,

who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer,

who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer,

who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician,

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN,

who salutes the Flag,

It is the veteran,

who serves under the Flag,

ETERNAL REST GRANT THEM O LORD,

AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

I don't know if you saw this in the news but it really impressed me. Funny, our US Senate/House took 2 days off as they couldn't work because of the expected storm.

On the ABC evening news, it was reported tonight that, because of the dangers from Hurricane Isabelle approaching Washington, DC, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment.

They respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir!"

Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson.

The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

I don't usually suggest that many emails be forwarded, but I'd be EXTREMELY proud if this one reached as many as possible.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Gail,thanks I have seen the post before.My father fought in WWll and Korea,Vietnam was my war and my youngest son had Desert Storm and is a First Sergeant in Korea as we speak.His brother is in the Coast Guard.Look at the last line of your post.Veterans have ALL Americans as their family.You are why we do what we do.

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    sassafrass, I'm a vet, my father was a korea vet, and I've traced my family tree all the way back to the 1600's. The swords have been in every conflict since then. To the best of my knowledeg, we've had none in desert strom or the current war. Besides being a vet, I would still (much to the dismay of some people,who call me a "flagwaver",I would still support my contry and my troops.
    It is attitudes like these soliders who with the upmost respect,told their commanding officer that they would not leave their most,even at their own risk. This is a comman place thing with men and women in uniform. It is a feeling of pride and personal support that you will never find in civilian life.
    It is basicly this, at some time,sooner or later , the American public will disown,disresoect,or just plain forget about the men and women in uniform. That is one of the many reasons,these soliders would not desert their post. Even though this post does not protect life,or save life. It shows basic and well deserved respect to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
    Thanks again Sasa for posting this. I thank you!

4. shorte

shorte New Member

State:
    smithfield nc
    My cousin is a active member of the Marines. he was supposed to have been in the pentagon on 911. He was not there,but, luckily the guy he switched with,made it out ok.
    My dad and my husband served in the military, and I have the upmost respect for people who serve in the military,no matter what job it is.
    They deal with stuff all the time that we take for granted.
    I think instead of bitchin about what they are doing , we should support the things that they are doing right! Hey now,I can read. I see the little bitty lines about schools being built,waterfilter plants being put in where there weren't never any before. Why is there never any headlines about these things?
    Tammy,
    smithfield,nc
    (AKA supporter of our troops)

5. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thank you Gail!!!