Honey Hole turns Money Hole

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by river1214rat, Nov 18, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Saturday: Gotta find that "Honey Hole"! Rivers up, current swift, found deeper water, borrowed friends bigger boat; all of the makings for the catch of the Biggest Blue in the Ohio. Gear packed, coffee made shad caught and off to our new Honey Hole. (55-70 ft deep) Current keeps pulling us down river, go back and throw anchor out. OMG, barge is coming. Had to cut anchor rope 'cause anchor has been sucked down by the grentches who live at the bottom of the "hole". Move to the bank to keep a sudden convoy of barges from running over us; see shad, throw cast net and see my rod and reel fo airborne and again sucked down by the same grentches who live under the murky waters. They tried to get my cast net, but was finally able to snatch it back.
    Sunday: Let's try it again! You'd think we would learn, HA HA! Current swifter; use more weight; still cn't get bait to go down. OMG THE BARGE comes again. Anchor stuck, cut line, second anchor lost to the depths of the river. Screw the "HOLE" we are going to calmer water. Only catch was a 12 inch mud cat. Did we have fun, you bet.
    Cost of anchors plus rope: $ 76
    Cost of rod and reel: $70
    Cost of another learning experience: Priceless
    :0a17:
    Linda

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    That honey hole just don't like you.I have lost 2or 3 anchors on the Arkansas river. Just not two days in a roll.:eek:oooh:But I bet you had a good time.:smile2:Hope you have better luck next time.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Lol Linda! :smile2: Its good that you can a have a sense of humor about losing your equipment! I hope things go a little smoother for you next time out. Them barges can be a real pain in the butt! I hope you catch the Big One soon! :cool2:

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Linda, I consider any day that you can put the boat back on the trailer, with everyone accounted for, the baseline of a successful trip. Anything more than that is icing on the cake :smile2::big_smile::wink:

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I'm going with Patman on this one.....making the return to fish again is definately high on the list!!:eek:oooh::smile2::tounge_out:

6. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Everytime I go out I try to learn from mistakes I make, so hopefully I won't repeat them. I was so focused on finding a barge blow out to get a Big Blue that I did not realize how hard it would be to fish in the swift current. I will wait until she settles down and just know that hole will still be there. It may next week or sometime in the spring. Main thing, I now know where the deeper water is. It was scary looking up and seeing the barges coming down stream, because they are traveling so much faster. My house is on the Ohio and I watch her all of the time. I know the barges travel faster when the current is up, but to actually be out there and see them coming at you.....learned big time. My life and my boyfriends life is not worth any fish no matter how big. Need to post that picture, can't do that if I am at the bottom with my anchor!!!:tounge_out:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Smart lady, no fish is worth dying for. You really have paid some dues lately, was that another rod or the same one you mentioned last week?
    As for your anchors, try this. Put a big float on the end of your anchor rope. those gallon laundry soap bottles work well. They are tough and bright orange so are easy to see. In heavy current use two.
    If you have to move in a hurry and the anchor won't budge don't cut the rope just throw all the rope and the float out of the boat and leave it. When the barge has gone come back and grab the float and retrieve your rope. Hopefully with a bit more time to spare you can work the anchor free.
    This also works good if you have to follow a fish you can't get in or to sort out a snag. you can just come back and carry on fishing exactly where you were.
    Good luck...W

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Buoying your anchor is common and often done where you may need to cast off in a hurry to follow as you fight a big fish in swift or any water with the boat.If you are anchoring in a shipping channel,you will be fortunate to see your anchor floats after a large vessel passes as they seem to eat them.It takes a lot of buoyancy and scope to keep the current from pulling a float down in swift water.I used a "Magic Marker" at the recommendation of the fish and game department to put "NOT ABANDONED! along with my "name" and "telephone number" or/and fishing license number on the float after a serious argument about the ownership of my anchor,anchor buoy and rope with a would be thief.Red plastic gas cans and white plastic buckets sealed good are easy to find in big water without a GPS.This is a good use for a old leaky one as you can fill them full of foam peanuts or scrap foam.Colman fuel and rubbing alcohol will rinse them out and then evaporate if needed.A bicycle flag & pole positioned right on a float works well as does reflectors and the tape.3 styrofoam "wig" holders strung on and rigged with a bike flag and pole was my all time favorite.If you wrap your buoy with tinfoil and a tinfoil flag it will often reflect radar.A radar reflector on any boat is a very good idea anyway if you fish in any manner at night in a shipping lane or channel.It will give you a chance if the motor don't start.As for the rod.A 3-4 foot size 60,360 pound breaking strength nylon cord with a loop in both ends will save your rods if you are careful what/where you tie it off.A Browning Auto-5 is NOT a good thing to tie a rod & reel with a locked down drag to!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Linda for sharing your exciting fishing trip. Experience is a great teacher. Some days are just bad luck. Hang in there Your day will come.:smile2:

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you have access to a welder you can do what i did.i got tired of losing anchors so i got some rebar and made my own.i drop them off and hang them up and when i get ready to go if they dont come loose i just put the motor in gear and take off.the weld will break and i get my rope and part of the anchor back.granted it looks a little redneck but its cheep.

11. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Great information, thank you gentlemen!!! :wink:

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Lina, you might also want to browse the library for some home made anchors. That $76.00 would make a lot of home made ones. I'll give you a link to the library table of contents so you can browse it and see what all is there. You may find it interesting....

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if it makes you feel alittle better...there are dumbeR people like myself that have seen signs that say DO NOT ANCHOR!!!! UNDERGROUND CABLE!!! i anchored, and about lost the boat!!!! rollo ???:eek:oooh:

14. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    linda,
    sounds like youve paid your dues ,and you seem eager to fish which is good, because you cant catch em at the house. dont let this get you down, keep on chuggin, you will forget about those poles the first time you land that ( fiddy pounder) lol ...by the way what size fishin line are you useing? be sure its approprite for the size fish you are targeting. good luck and be safe.

steve

15. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    from now onyou should call it the milk hole instead of a honey hole
    because its milking you out of alot of money. I'll move around it a bit more
    it might just be a hog of a cat lerking down there.

16. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Well Linda .....those things happen. You want believe what happen to me. I just got back into fishing a few years ago. I go out to the lake and up the river with two brand new Abu Garcia rods & reels....still had the tags on them. Infact someone at the ramp said new rods & reels huh...seeing the tags on them....I said shucks na...they are my Minne Pearl rods & reels...lol. First time using a bait caster. Using just one hand to make a cast it slipped right out of my hand into the river. OK...now I was anchored and the water was only 8 feet deep. I couldn't believe what had just happened...first cast brand new....tag still on...lol. Ok I took another rod and reel put several ounces of sinkers with 2 treble hooks threw it several times dragged the bottom and hooked.....man I couldn't believe it. Ok here's where you will have a hard time believing me. I bait up and cast the same new rod & reel again....again using one hand....and again in the river it goes. Well this time it didn't seem I was going to get it back.... tried dragging the bottom for about 30 minutes. I was getting a few bites on the other lines so I just gave up...but just before leaving the spot I tried one last time and yep I snagged it. I am now proud to say I always use two hands and knock on wood it hasn't happened again.
    Jerry

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    If you all decide to go back out there, I hope that you have better luck! Stay safe in the process.:wink:

18. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Did not know about current seams. :confused2: what do I look for to find them?? :tounge_out:
    Regarding the size of line I use...1 pole with 50# and 2 poles with 30#. I treated myself to an early Birthday and Christmas present and got a Berkley Big Game 8ft rod and my first bait caster...Abu Garcia 2005LP. Have used it once and love it !! :big_smile:
    From this I have learned sooo much, again thanks to my new brothers. 1) Take a Laundry Det. bottle to mark my stuck anchor. 2) Definately will make some anchors. Neighbor has alot of rebarb and will not miss a few pieces 3) Look behind me when using cast net, and 4) learn more about current seams.

Hope to get back out there soon.
    BTW, I have a new 'lil fishing buddy. My daughter gave birth today to my 2nd granddaughter. Ella Marie weighs 8lb 4oz. I can tell she will be a River Rat soon, just like her Grandma!!! :003:

19. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    linda congats on the new grand daughter , my grandmother is the person that got me hooked at a very young age ,they had a camp on the ohio i was there every weekend, some of my best memories, in life were with my grandmother ,fishing the river... teach em young they will fish forever.

steve

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Linda, I have to commend you on you tenacity and purseverence, you are one tough cookie!!! Hang in there and your day will come!!!

This past weekend I lost a 7' M/H Penn Roddy Gatortail w/a ABU 7000i by hooking it and slinging it out of the boat while making a long cast. Seems that when you are acustom to fishing from the stern of the boat and have to fish from the Bow "Things just ain't in the right place", LMAO!!! I have lost rods before but this one was one of the more expensive rods that I have lost,about 150.00. So don't feel alone out there.

Over the years I have lost anchors, cell phones, fillet knives and rods. When these things happen to us, all we can do is go on and keep plug'n.