Honda outboards

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Megalodon, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Megalodon

Megalodon New Member

State:
    georgia
    I'm putting a new Honda engine on my 14 ft jon boat. I wanted to get some opinions on whether the 20 hp is worth the extra 300 bucks over the 15 hp.

2. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Scott,
    First of all, welcome to the BOC. Second, to answer your question, in my opinion yes. Three hundred isn't much for the extra power you'll get. Plus, if you ever decide to upgrade to a sixteen footer you will already have an engine capable of pushing it. If in doubt, always go bigger. Again, this is just my opinion. Hope this helps.

3. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    $300 Is a bargain for the extra power. You may get better fuel economy if you don't run the 20 as hard as you would the 15.

4. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    welcome to the boc, go for the 20, it would be one of the best 300 bucks you ever spent.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    GO BIG!!! That is my feeling on boat motors. Will the 15 push that boat? Probably. But with that 20 you wont have to run it as hard. You can plane it out and can use less throttle than the 15 to keep it there. This will most likely save you gas because the motor insn't working as hard!!!! Plus its easier on the motor not having to run full throttle all the time. You can also put more people/gear/ etc. in the boat and it will still plane. I've found 15hp motors on 14 jons to be marginal. My uncles will run pretty good with just 2 people. Put that 3rd person in there and it dont do so well, thats why i got a 25hp for mine. Besides, What's $300 when your talking what, $2000 anyways? Thats cheap for that big of an upgrade. If you're worried about having too much power remember.....you dont have to use it full throttle, you can back off.

6. Megalodon

Megalodon New Member

State:
    georgia
    I appreciate everyone's opinions about the 20 hp. I bought the engine today, and man is she sweet! Now its time to break her in and catch some fish!

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Scott, you made a good choice! I think you will be glad you went with the 20! Let us know how it does!:wink:

8. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Good to hear that you went with the 20hp. I think you'll be glad you did. Let us know how it works out.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the 20 hp. Good choice you will not be sorry.

10. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I run a 25 hp Honda on my 1648. It's a great motor, gets good fuel economy and does it's job.

11. Megalodon

Megalodon New Member

State:
    georgia
    I finally got the new 20 broke in and it was well worth the extra $. She gets up to around 26mph on the river, which is more than enough for my needs. It sure is nice being able to make longer, faster runs, not to mention better gas mileage. Thanks again for everyone's advice.