Honda four stroke

Discussion in 'Boating' started by drcatfish14, Feb 22, 2007.

1. drcatfish14

drcatfish14 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Looking for good or bad info on honda four stroke outboards.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    From all I've seen, they're over rated.

More expensive to begin with and as much problems or more than any other 4 stroke.

If you can afford a 4 stroke of any brand, you need to learn the perks of how to maintain it properly or be able to afford to keep it maintained.

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have owned 2 Honda's , a 25 HP tiller for 4 years and a 90HP on a 17' CC Sea Fox, with no problems. The 25--we use twice a week year round. ON the 90 we use at least once a week for 2 years --No problems. UP keep--What up keep. Just change oil , filters and grease, no more than a 2 stroke.
    After 2 years (SeaFox-90hp) we traded for a 22' Herricane Deck boat wtih a Yamaha 150 HP four strokes.Love those four strokes.:smile2: Some like the 4 strokes, some like the 2 strocks--who knows-- you can get a lemon in any brand (Make)
    Have a great day.
    Walt

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've had a 50 (on a 17' crestliner) for right around 2 years. I love it and have had no trouble at all.

A couple of people have told me that their carbs foul easily if you leave the boat set up for a while without draining the carbs. Since I use the boat every couple of weeks (at least) year round, I have had no problems. The service is kind of expensive, but it's all pretty easy stuff to do your self (replace air and oil filter and change oil, etc.) and they are well engineered so you can do the work. I've seen some other motors where you can't get at the oil filter wtihout taking the motor apart...

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I've been a Honda dealer for nearly 15 years for generators and pumps. I can tell you that their engines are light years ahead of the competition. I am also a dealer for other engines ie Yamaha, Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, etc. etc. In my experience/opinion I see the least problems with Honda motors out of any of the others and parts are readily available which is the only bad thing I can say about Yamaha. Yamaha 2nd on my top 10 list of small engines falls behind Honda only for the reason that sometimes parts are backordered for several months due to shipping from overseas. All other small engines suffer greatly by comparison and aren't even in the same catagory as those two manufactures.

Now as far as Honda outboards are concerned I have Zero experience or knowledge about them. But considering their track record and a 4 stroke engine is 4 stroke engine, I would personally buy a Honda 4 stroke before I bought anything else. I will give my Honda rep a call and find out the inside scoop on the Outboard engines.

I'm not trying to sell you on these, I'm just giving you my experience with these motors. I'll get back with you on what I find out with the outboards.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'll soon be the owner of a new 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha that's coming on my boat. I'm a fan of Japanese products because of their reliability. I have an Acura (Honda motor co), and in 5 years of ownership, all it's needed was scheduled oil and fluid changes. Never a problem. Engine as smooth as when I first got it.

7. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I doubt that you can go wrong with anything Honda make's .I have been a Honda fan since I can remember and have had no problem's with any of there stuff Motorcycles,lawn mower's ,generator's you name it if it says Honda on it I would buy it in a heartbeat.

But there Outboards are pricey though and not everyone wants to pay for them Personally if I was looking at 4-Stroke's and couldn't ( get,find, afford whatever ) a Honda I would look at Suzuki they make great outboard's and are pretty well priced with the other's I have 2 of them (2-Stroke's ) and they have been Flawless.3rd would be Yamaha very good also.

8. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    JPritch -- congrats on the new boat. I know you will enjoy it. Good luck.
    Walter

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks Walter!

I am holding off on my 'official BOC Announcement' until I take possession and can put up some pics! I grow more anxious with each passing day. Just waiting on my trailer to come in.:big_smile:

10. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Had a 9.9 Honda on my Jon. Great running little motor once ya got it warmed up; it didn't like cold weather at all!! If I had to complain it would be the price and their weight.

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a 4 stroke Honda 25 HP on my 1648 Alumacraft. I wish I could say that I researched all the engine types and after consideration I chose it. However, the truth is that I found mine used at a dealership for around $1000.00 less than a new engine with less than 10 hours on it. When the dealer took it back in trade for a smaller Honda he did the 10 hour break in service ($300.00 value) and check it throughly for problems.
    I love this engine for its quiet running, power, and ease of use but I can give you a couple of tips.

1. If you go more than three weeks without running the engine drain the gas from the carbs. It takes less than 5 minutes (just open 3 screws) and will solve worlds of future problems. Search the web and you will find that 75% of Honda outboard complaints are due to stopped up carbs from folks that do not follow this advice. Gasoline nowdays forms varnish like coatings in carbs, carb bowls and fuel lines if you let it set to long.

2. If you run in cold weather give yourself time to warm up the engine. You will have to choke it and let it run on half choke for a short time BEFORE taking off. If you do not it will die. I read where a barge company on the Mississippi bought quite a few Honda 25's for their fleet of tender boats. One of the guys that works on them was complaining that if anyone ever fell in the river in winter weather they had to go after him with a Honda 25 powered skiff he would probably drown before the engine warmed up.

I think over rated is a subjective statement. Most four stroke outboards are more mechanically complex than two strokes and are heavier. Of course the trade off is burning regular gas, quiet running and smooth extended idle and trolling speed running. All of these are things that in my experience two stokes can't or don't do well. Honda has been building four stroke outboards longer than any other company. Combine that with the fact that Honda builds quality products from lawn mowers to race cars. It's hard to go wrong.
    To date I have a Honda powered go-kart, power washer, lawn mower, mud motor, tiller, outboard engine and car. No real complaints on any of them.

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I'm looking to upgrade from a 90 hp Tahotsu to a 115 hp. Right now I am leaning toward an Evenrude 115 e-tec. Mainly because it is lighter, has more power and gets better gas mileage. Just my thoughts!!!!