Homemade Worm Probe

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by smitty0312, Jun 28, 2009.

1. smitty0312

smitty0312 New Member

State:
    NW Illinois
    Has anybody made an electric worm probe and how to do it? I use to have one years ago, it is a 1/4" stainless rod 3 ft long but it does'nt work like it use to and don't know why. I have since upgraded to 100amp service in my home, don't know if that has to do with anything, I'm not an electricity guru. Any help well appreciated. Thankyou Smitty

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Dan not sure about the worm probe but we always used mustard mixed with water to pore in the worm holes to get them out of the holes during the day. Worked pretty good for some cheap daylight nightcrawler bait.

3. the grizzly

the grizzly New Member

State:
    ohio
    you can make a home made worm probe easy.........take a old lamp cord or some kind of tv radio appliance cord etc..........and cut it off at the end going in appliance.(prefere two wire cord).... a old screwdriver or even a old barbaque rotiserie rod wrap one side of cord around the metal shaft close to handle and tape other side of wire up..shove in ground and plug in worms come out of dry ground unplug and pick them up........go fishing:wink:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The whole key to the advice was the phrase "dry ground". Several people have electrocuted themselves with improper use.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That,s why you don,t see em on the market anymore.Too many electrocution lawsuits.:crazy:.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Make sure that cord is unplugged when you cut it too!

I have never ever heard of using mustard to get worms out of the ground.... sounds kind of like a snipe hunt.

7. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Don't ya need to make sure the hot side is on the metal stake and the neutral side taped up???

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Lmao how long is the cord you use ? do you live in a mud floor house:big_smile:lol

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Easier to go out and rake the leaves back and pick up the worms out of my compost pile.

10. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    hmm $2.80 cents for 20 candian nightcrawlers at walmart or two mins of fame being the guy who took a lamp cord to a metal shaft and took 120volts :tounge_out:

11. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    You know I'm shocked that someone would try this:tounge_out:

John

12. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    It works!

13. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm with you Mike!! I am not one waiting for the big :jolt:
    Make a worm bed, much easier, not as dangerous and pick up a crawler in the yard every now and then and toss in the box. Use your left over baits too. They multiply fast!!

14. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ok, I admit it. Me and some friends tried this when we were about ten. We got tired of flipping over rocks to get worms. We ran a extension cord from the front door socket out into the front yard. Drove a metal stake into the ground. Used a piece of wire to wrap around the stake and stuck the ends into the extension cord. Then plugged it in. Nothing seemed to be happening so I touched it real quick and nothing. So in my infinate wisdom, I started playing with the wire figuring that it wasnt making contact. Never thought about what would happen when it did. Well that wasnt the problem. My friend, at the same time, went over to where it was plugged in at and realized that for that plug to work you have to flip the switch up on the wall. Well needless to say I saw a ball of light about 4 feet in dia. and was thrown back about 4-6 feet. We went back to flipping over rocks and i dont mess with electrical issues to this day.:eek:oooh:

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Wheeeew for a minute there I thought you guys were working on some new homade medical procedure!!!!!:smile2::big_smile::crazy:These thing were actually sold if I remember right but as a kid we used to just go out after a good rain with a red lens flashlight and gather night crawlers on the lawn.Was kind of fun something like hunting and you had to have some manual dexterity.As I recall moms werent to fond of the procedure because the resultant grass stians on your pants knees were severe.Didnt have Oxyclean in those days.:big_smile::smile2:I am only scared of two things in Gods great universe.Women and electricity;I know both are nice to have but darned if I understand how they operate!!!:smile2::wink::big_smile:

16. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Leave the AC 110 alone just a good way to get hurt, burn out breakers ect. Use a 12volt battery operated elect fence charger and 2 metal push rods 2 ft apart. Loads of worms, they dont die from being fried, and its easy to move around or even take fishen with ya in the river bottoms. Good thing is it cant kill ya like 110 unless ya got a pace maker. If Ya got a ol marine battery and a lil wire the battery elect fence charger will runn 25 to 80 bucks seems the cheapies work fine. For push rods get the short elect steel fence posts about 2 ft long they even got a step peice to make em easy to put in. Easy way to get loads or worms the chargers most of the time cone with all you need ecpt 12volt battery. 1 to 2 trips in the river bottoms every year ya will get all the worms ya want.