Homemade Wooden Flat Boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by stonemaster, Dec 31, 2005.

1. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    If you like the boat in my avatar , i can tell you how to build one . It takes about one day to build and about one hundred bucks in materials. They are very stable in the water and only draw about two inches of depth. I use mine in the Kentucky river which is pretty calm. I don't know how it would work in high waves though, but I imagine much like other flat bottomed boats.It is easy to get it licensed. Simply call the water safty people and they will come to your house to inspect the boat. Mainly they say,
    'Yea, that's a boat allright." They then give you a title which you take to the courthouse and get a registration and stickers.
    This one is twelve feet long, but I have made them as big as twenty feet.One thing I like about wooden boats is they are so easy to modify to suit your needs.If I can figure out how to post a drawing I will add it to my thread.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Nice Darrell, I already have a boat but wouldn't mind checking out the plans for an 18 or twenty footer. Is the boat very heavy? and what does it take to push one at a reasonable pace? Vern.

3. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Stonemaster I've got a question for you that I've always wanted to ask a home boat builder. What about the normal practice of using scarf joints on your boats (especially on the larger ones). How do they hold up to the elements and engine power in the real world?

Steve

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Scarfing is fast becoming obsolete in today's nailess, screwless designs in stitch and glue.

5. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    The twenty foot ones probably are heavier than the same size in metal. My big boat had a forty horse motor and it would plane out fast. As far as being strong, I used mine as a commerical mussle harvesting craft and it held up very well. One of the biggest advantage was their great stability. We many times would be pulling 1000 pounds up and over the side with the river in full flood. With the smaller ones I can stand on any corner without having it to tip.

6. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Catwagon, no scrarfing is nessacery in these boats. I built the one in the picture in four hours.

7. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Stonemaster,
    PM me the drawing and I'll post it for you.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Nice looking boat, great price on the building cost. What thickness of plywood are you using? Is it exterior grade, BC or better?

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I grew up fishing in wooden boats. Ours was 14ft or 16ft long. 4ft wide. Verry stable. but the sides had plenty of flair to them. Guessing at least 6ft across the top. Cyress transoms.2" thick. 1/2" marine plywood for the sides and bottom. 2'x6" for the head block.
    Boy those were the days. Wind did not blow these boats around like todays boats. Also Ran good. You could walk along the side rails and the boat would not tip.
    It is good to see someone still building them and using them.I for one wouild love to hear how you built the little boat.
    Ours were water tight. Finish one up and put it in the water and go fishing no leaks. Also had a livewell built across them.
    Also our had 2"x2" ribs every 16" and the plywod was butt jointed and glue and nailed into the ribb above it. My uncle never had one come apart there and he built 7 or 8 per year. but his would take at least 3 hard days to built.
    PEte

10. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I built pirouges when I was younger and didn't have to make joints because I could get much longer sheets of wood to start with. I always wanted to make a jon boat, but I never could convince myself that I could make a joint that would hold and not leak or come apart at some point, LOL

Steve

11. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    The smallr boats use 1x12 as sides, 2x12s for the transom and front. The bottom is 1/2 inch plywood, screwed and glued front,sides. back and to the spreader in the middle. The spreader is what gives the boat it's stability. As it is inserted in the middle of the sides it both cants the sides out and raises both front and back ends of the craft.
    You begin by taking two 1x12s for the sides and clamping them together. Then measure 2 foot on the bottom side and 1 inch up the end ,{which I cut at a 10% angle to allow you to trim the motor), this makes a triangle that you cut off and move to the top of your sides. On the front you measure 3 foot down the bottom edge and 3 inches up the (front) end, and move this triangle to the top of your sides.
    I cut the transom 3 1/2 feet long and the front the same. Then simply screw the sides to these peices using 2 inch screws and construction adhesive. Now the have a 4 sided box 12 foot long.
    I make the spreader 4 foot at the bottom and 5 foot at the top.As I push this peice down in the middle of the boat , the sides flair out and the ends rise up. This is also the support for the center seat.
    Nowturn it ovr and attach the plywood to the bottom.Add front and back seats and bingo, you have a boat. Paint as suits you.

12. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Can you give me an idea how much a 12-footer would weigh ? Some of the places I want to fish in the winter can't be reached by boat because the ramps are out of the water due to winter pool. I'd like to have a small cheap boat that 1 person could drag 30-40 feet to the water and fish. Haul it to and from the lake on a trailer, and fish where everyone else only fishes from the bank!

13. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Two men can carry this boat easily. I use mine for this same purpose many times. I used to fly-fish for small mouths in small streams for many years and i have carried mine over many a bank. Also since it only draws 2 inchs of water , most riffels were no problem.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lookin forward to this drawing! 2in. riffles are very comon in our rivers and this boat sounds like something we could use.

thx for the post stonemaster.

15. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Can someone tell me how to post a drawing? How do I take a drawing on paper and download it? Thanks

16. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Do you have a scanner?

17. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Sorry, I don't have a scanner. Just a digatal camera.

18. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Darrell,
    You may try to take a picture (close up as possible) and then download it from your camera. If you draw it with a Sharpie or magic marker, it may show up better. Just a thought.

19. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Darrell, Any luck on those drawings? Sure would like to see them! How about posting some more pictures?

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup still waitin here too. :)