Homemade Tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by SmokinBarrel, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I have attached a homemade bait tank that I made approx. 7 years ago before I sold my old boat. I gave this tank away with the boat, and totally regret it now. Anyway, I found this old photo and thought I'd share with others.

The bait fish are Herring, or as we call them around here, Mooneye. I had the tank in the back of my truck, and on the otherside was a battery. The battery was charged by the truck.....I ran a wire from my truck battery to the bait tank battery. Every time I fired up the truck, it would recharge the truck and bait tank battery.

I would always get extra bait on my way in from a catfishing trip, and throw them in the bait tank. That way I wouldn't have to worry about finding bait again on the next trip out. Also, when I would bet home at 6 a.m., I'd throw a frozen gallon of water in the tank to keep it cool while I slept. Then, wake up at 2 or 3 p.m. in the afternoon, and go fishing again, without worrying about getting bait again.

If my memory serves me right, here's the specs.....

120 - 150 qt ice chest (the big salt water kind?)
    750 gph pump

Attached Files:

2. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    we use a cooler like that to keep bait fish in while setting lines it works really well i have a bubbler set up on it

3. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I didn't have a bubbler on it. I had holes drilled on the pvc pipe so water would spray directly into the tank. As well as, water would spray inside the filter. It worked great.