Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has their technique of keeping their drop lines from getting tangled. The most common I’ve seen and done over the years, is to simply hang the hook end around the rim of a bucket. However, the clip ends will soon tangle and cause a mess as well. I came up with a solution that has saved me a lot of torment. I used this most of the summer, and will be making more sets. Hope this helps everyone else out..
Here's the link:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used to trotline a lot for turtles in a few ponds and I have no idea how many times I sat there with a massive ball of tangled leaders. The old bucket idea and a lot of other failed attempts to organize leaders were all great until something bumped them or knocked them over then the mess begins.

I may have to give it a shot again and your bucket organizer will definitely be a great addition.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Phil when I turned them over they went all over the place, would not lay in the bucket correctly and after checkin they were not glued straight but I got it fixed and now it does look right, all the mfg's fault.!! Thanks Again

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess a second ring of PVC pipe could be inside the first ring if more hooks are needed.
Ya... the only draw-back on that would be less space to put the rest of your gear... My weight eats up a lot of the middle. I'd like to find a smaller weight that weighs the same. My favorite is a truck rotor, but it didn't fit in the bucket. wish I had a pieces of railroad rail!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ya... the only draw-back on that would be less space to put the rest of your gear... My weight eats up a lot of the middle. I'd like to find a smaller weight that weighs the same. My favorite is a truck rotor, but it didn't fit in the bucket. wish I had a pieces of railroad rail!
If you have a machine shop close, they may have a piece of shaft, we called it round stock, that would normally be thrown in the scrap. Wall-Mart has some 10 lb. Cast Iron Kettlebells with a handle that would fit nicely. They are reduced price to $7.99. Walmart # 553165003.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you have a machine shop close, they may have a piece of shaft, we called it round stock, that would normally be thrown in the scrap. Wall-Mart has some 10 lb. Cast Iron Kettlebells with a handle that would fit nicely. They are reduced price to $7.99. Walmart # 553165003.
Thanks for the tips! I definitely want to find something free, due to the fact that the Missouri River WILL eat my gear over time. I wish I could make a forge that would melt and mold brake rotors.... I can get them free all day long.... and they are the perfect weight. I will be looking for some machine shops around here and asking for 'round stock'.... thanks again!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I definitely want to find something free, due to the fact that the Missouri River WILL eat my gear over time. I wish I could make a forge that would melt and mold brake rotors.... I can get them free all day long.... and they are the perfect weight. I will be looking for some machine shops around here and asking for 'round stock'.... thanks again!
You could make a forge. When I was a kid we melted steel. W had a ceramic container with a hole in the side of the bottom. We attached a vacuum cleaner backwards so it would blow. Started a fire in it. As it burned we added more wood and turned the vacuum cleaner off and on as the fire got more established. Eventually we had a bed of coals with the vacuum running blowing constantly. We could melt anything. If you had a container made for melting you could melt the steel and pour it in a mold. Let it cool very slowly or else it tempers unevenly. You could learn the technique on-line.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I use a weight for jugs and its home made, had too many drug off without a heavy weight so I took a foldgers coffee plastic container drilled four holes for a 8 or 12" nail poked through at the botton leaving a cuple inches still inside but make the spikes 4 way, filled it with quick crete and put a large diameter plastic rope with a knot on each end into the crete and stuffed it down into the crete. They won't drag this off, never lost one yet and have used this for many years, had a couple 40's on and never moved it 10 yards and they will last you as long as the rope does.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.