Homemade Slinky Weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by dominoman, Jan 12, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    After seeing some slinky type weights on recent trip to the lake, went to price them, no thanks, I'll pass on those. Got a 100' roll of braided nylon rope from Tractor Supply, cut off about 10' section, pulled out the insides of the rope, leaving just the outside braid. Cut it into sinker size lengths, 2-3" long, heat one end with propane burner. Once this cools, drop in split shot inside it to the desired weight, leaving a little longer section on the end. Once you heat this end, just mash it flat with a screwdriver, piece of flat metal, etc. After this cools, you can take an icepick or small nail and melt a hole in the flat end to hook a swivel into. Works pretty good for drifting, doesn't hang up near as bad, kinda crawls over stuff. The rope is available in different colors for your fashion conscious catfish. I think the rope was $11 for 100 ' and split shot, about .88 a bag. The roll of rope will make a BUNCH of weights. If I can find the old coffee can of OO buckshot I have, I'll use them instead of the split shot.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lonnie thanks for sharing a good idea. Will have to give it a try.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Great idea. Thanks.

4. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Great post Lonnie. iI have seen some home made one before and even some for sale at Hills at Santee. Just wondering what size rope you bought? Thanks

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Forgot to put the rope size on the 1st post, it's 3/8". All the parachute cord I could find was such a small diameter, it would look like a 2' snake to get enough weight to hold it down.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks, sounds good. Also thanks for the link too.

8. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Tommy for the links Good ones to have in my reference section , I am browsing them and have already found some more good things to get Thanks

9. ilovemyfish

ilovemyfish New Member

State:
    california
    great! Thanks for the tip:wink:

10. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Another source for lead could be a local stained glass studio. My wife and I are stained glass artists and I take pieces of lead "came" and flatten one end with a hammer, drill a hole in it and tie it on. To make heavier weights just fold longer pieces and hammer them together.

11. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    great post but how heavy do you normally make them

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sounds like a good idea thanx

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Lonnie, great idea, thanks for the references.

14. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    Good idea thanks for the info.

15. ttownreb

ttownreb New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is just what I have been looking for. This website is great.

16. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey guys been making my own now have found a few tricks ordered my stuff from fishermans shack still with bigger cord shot does not go in easy found i cut it then heat one end then run a small rod down to open the cord then heat edges so it will not fray then have used a straw you have to eat at all the fast food places to find the right size then i spray pam on the weights put them in straw a few at a time then ramrod them down can do about 1o a hour thought i could make and sell them but at the rate it is not going to work if i come up with a new ideal will post it hopes this helps bobs bait

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Lonnie, thats a great idea. Thanks for the post and info. Will have to give it a try.:0a24::0a31:

Mark..

18. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    Thanks I'll have to use that sometime.