Homemade scent neutralizer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Big B, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Most of us have probably bought some scent neutralizer or still do. And we pay $10+ for a 24oz bottle. And we all know that wont last very long. I sometimes will even spray my pop up blind with it and thats why I make my own. It's cheap. Here's how I do it.
    You will need the following:
    • 1/2 cup Baking soda
    • 2 cups Distilled water
    • 1oz Unscented shampoo
    • 2 cups 3% Hydrogen peroxide
    Mix ingredients in a large bowl (gently) until the baking soda dissolves.
    Pour in a clean container that has a lid. (I use a gatorade bottle)
    Leave the lid cracked 3-4 days because this concoction creates gases that need to escape.
    Then I put mine in a spray bottle with a bubble stone on the bottom of the tube to keep the baking soda from clogging up the nozzle. It doesn't seem to dissolve all of the way.
    If you prefer this solution can be used with heavy duty paper towels and placed in a ziploc bag or a baby wipe box. Make sure to let it soak in, then pour out excess liquid.
    This stuff works for me. I had a buck circle around my blind last year within 20yds. He walked in from behind us and he had no idea we were there. He sure did taste good. Let me know if this works for you.
    Happy hunting.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mine is even cheaper. I hunt in farm land, mostly. I take my rubber boots and stomp all over the freshest "Cow Pie" I can find! LOL

3. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Surely you wouldn't put that "cow pie" on your clothes to cover your scent:confused2:. "Cow pies" are a great cover scent for your boots but this absorbs the smells not cover them up. Deer can smell 6 different things at one time and I don't want to be one of them.lol

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't worry about the few that may smell me, I hunt the ones that don't! You can't hunt ALL the deer, just the ones that are up wind of you. Some will get down wind no matter what you do. If you breath, you're giving off a lot of scent, and unless you don't eat meat, you smell like a carnivore. No cover scent, or suit, will eliminate that. Cow pies just help hide the path I walked in on, even though I always try to come in from down wind of where the deer will be. After that, it's all stand location and stand height. By the way, I do use Baking Soda, and have for years.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Been doing the "cow pie" thing for 30 years. Only time I didn't was when I planned on being in a tree stand. I haven't been able to reach out an touch any of them, but had them within 10 ft many a time.

6. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Old timers have used bakeing soda for years ,put it in the wash water and mix a spray for your boot and when you get to the tree and are sweaty .I also rinse my mouth out with soda water if I eat or smoke before going to the blind.
    I will hang my cammo cloth over a burning pine limb after I where them and then spray with soda water.
    I smell so sweet!!!! and purty
    CR mule

7. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i made it but changed it up a little.

8. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Not trying to hijack this thread but I've started to keep all may clothes in a tub with cedar chips, any one else tried this? Is this a good idea or bad? I'd appreciate any advice.

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    hey chris this is an excellent idea,any natural scent with an overpowering scent such as cedar are the best covers by far.ive used mint here in mo it grows wild everywhere,pine,cedar,and yes i have used wild pot or marijauna for cover.one day on the way to hunt i thought what if the highway patrol pulls me over and my hunting clothes are wraped inthese trash bags filled with pot i never could have talked my way out of that one.your right on but make sure you use cedar limbs or real cedar deer dont go for that synthetic crap!

10. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    So the cedar chips or "cedar bedding" for pets is not the right thing to use or is it?

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Brian for a good idea. Much appreciated.

12. scout1963

scout1963 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I love the products, but hate the high prices. Thanks for the recipe!