homemade scent bombs

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by whisker maniac, Oct 28, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Take an old pill bottle like you get from the pharmacy, some 1/8 inch thick cotton twine, and a J-hook.

Melt a hole in the lid of the pill bottle just big enough for the twine to fit thru. Run the end of the twine thru and tie the end in a knot. Take the j-hook and file off the point and the barb. Tie it onto the other end of the twine. Now just put in your favorite scent. When ya get to the woods just pull the string and hang the bottle from a limb.

Also works good if ya make several and put them in a triangular pattern around your stand. Helps to mask your scent as well as lure the deer in.

2. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    The best Scent bombs I have found is take a new tampon and hang it from the limb with the string already attached and pour your scent on the tampon. If you use the same stand thay can stay up all year just refreshen them when you get to the stand.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas

have you actually had luck doing that. I tried that a few years ago and never had a deer come to them at all. The tampons I used were the regulars and non scented but I still wasnt' sure if they weren't treated with something that interacted with my scents and killed the reaction that I was suspecting.

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I always used 35mm film cases with cotton balls stuff inside. They work great also.

5. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I can't believe I am saying this......But I have been using tampons for years and the work great for me

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    This is the best that I have found, Take a thermacell and place a blank scent pad, heat it up, apply James Valley scent, get ready! They will come!:eek:oooh:

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I may have to give that a try, not the tampons though, I will leave that to you guys, but a far as the pill bottles and twine sounds great.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Only a seasoned hunter with big shoulders would admit this.:smile2:

9. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :crazy:Yuup, that's pretty funny.:smile2:

But hey whatever works. I've used 35mm film cases and some cotton rope looking stuff from the craft section in walmart. Works good. I've had deer walk up to it sniffing just like in the hunting videos.

10. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    My wife would not let me go hunting again if I started using her tampons:smile2:. I use cotton balls and old film bottles. Very air tight.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I used the film cannisters. I tape a paperclip straightened into an S to the cannister. You can hang them on anything with this. I even put just a little reflective tape on it so I can find them easily with a flashlight in the late evening if I'm there that long. Cotton balls and some cover scent and you're ready. I use the scent bombs you buy for doe-p or whatever. But I don't do that too often.

12. doug300wsm

doug300wsm New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bill, I am glad that I read this post from top to bottom and not bottom to top. lol I couldn't help but laugh at what you said.