Homemade Rod Holder

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crusinman2002, May 26, 2009.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    Here is a rod holder that i just came up with. I'm going to build 2 of them within the next few days. the materials list below is to make 2 rod holders.

tools needed:
    circular saw
    band saw (can be used in place of the circular saw if needed)
    Hammer

Materials needed:
    3 10 foot 2x4's

i will take pics of the progress while i am building, but here is a 3d model and design and material cutting pattern that i drew up in autocad. enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Nice. Do you have something to hold the rod down? If it gets popped real hard it can bounce up off of that notch. It may be there right in front of my face but I didn't see it.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I just cut a 1 1/2" pc of pvc and make a diagonal point on end then drive that into the bank and voila! instant rod holder...of course I didnt use a drafting program with detailed design for the layout....:embarassed:

Good Luck looks like it would work.

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i didn't add anything to really hold the rod down, but the rod will be sitting at about a 50 degree angle and the base sits under the back piece that has the notch cut out in it. when i build mine i will take pics with the rods in them.

i tried the pvc thing, but is really rocky where i fish, so i kept breaking them. otherwise the pvc works great. i use to use them when i lived in north carolina when i went to the beach, worked really good there.

5. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey consider adding some rebar to the pvc if , I've used it in some pretty rocky areas. This is the kind I use when I fish from the bank...

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l325/jhalden90/100_0363.jpg

Your design seems cool I'm not sure how you want the rod proportioned but it almost seems like one of those specialized holders I've seen people using for carp, where the rod tip is pointed directly at the water. I might be wrong, seems cool though I'de like to see pictures when it's complete.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    lol but its still a cool idea bro it ota make a interesting project. When I bank fish I got some holders I have made from rebar but I still like usen a forked stick I cut from willows and a reverse forked stick on the butt end. I some times like the simple.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats what i use except mine are metal pipe welded to the rebar. aint no fish getting my poles with them, they work great with circles cause they can pull all day and the poles going nowere. thats why i dont use the forked stick my combos are too expensive to let a fish take off with them. i do have a couple forked sticks i made out of a dowel rod with a rubber coated u shaped tool holder screwed in the end that look cool that i will ocasionally use with my clickers at the lake.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok, just got done building them. here are the steps for building it. I had to do the notches with the circular saw, cause i dont have a band saw, thought i did.

1. cut all pieces to length.
    2. cut notches into the 12 inch and 10.5 inch boards.
    3. assemble the frame.
    4. assemble the parts that look like tables (or TT).
    5. attach the standing support to the smaller "tables".
    6. attach the longer "tables" to the standing support.
    7. put the interior section into the frame. it might take some motivation from a hammer.
    8. attach the final piece, the horizontal support.

they cost me about $5 each to build

Attached Files:

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    more pics

Attached Files:

10. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    and more

Attached Files:

11. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i wish i could do all these pics at the same time

Attached Files:

12. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    holding weight, the battery slid before the rod holder did, and the rod holder didn't flip over or nothing. i bounced the rod around as if a fish was biting, and it didn't pop out of the holder.

Attached Files:

13. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    last one

Attached Files:

14. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i will try it out but it seems to be kinda bulky and like just another big thing to carry to the fishing hole.but it looks like an excellent rod holder..Reps......RAT

15. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    yeah, they are a bit bulky, but lighter than i thought they would be. can easily grab them one handed and carry them, just takes another trip. but after all, we all really need little wagons to put everything in to get everything all in one trip... lol. oh, and for people limited on space in the back of the car, i just put them in the back of my camaro under the hatch area, fit in there just fine. they are only 1 foot wide, 2.5 feet long, and under a foot tall.

oh. almost forgot, there was a change to the original plans, the 18 inch pieces on the inside have to go 1 inch from the frame so that you can attach the "table" to the standing support.