Homemade Rod Guide Wrapping Table

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by slimepig, Mar 28, 2006.

1. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I certainly am no expert on rod wrapping, nor am I very good at woodworking, but im starting to take rod wrapping classes. I figured I needed a wrapping table but didn’t want to pay around $100 bucks for a cheap one so I browsed different plans on the net and came up with an easily built practical table. I got the lumber and hardware at home depot for about $20. I used white pine, but I suggest using a harder wood that doesn’t split so easy.

Materials List:

1”x3”x24” (2 pieces)

1”x2”x24” (1 piece)

1”x4”x36” (1 piece)

1/4”x2” bolts, with washers and wing nuts

1/4”x3” bolts, washers, and self locking nuts

a couple of springs

some o-rings

clamps

drill bits 1/16, 1/4, 5/16, Phillips driver bit

1 1/4” drywall screws

Wood glue

Felt

Stain and finish of choice

Step 1, The Base ​

From the 1x2, cut three pieces 5 1/4” long. Put one aside for later. take the two remaining pieces, and glue/screw them to the bottom of the two 1x3 pieces, leaving about a 5/16” gap between the two 1x3’s. Be sure to pre-drill and countersink all screw holes to keep from splitting the wood ( I used the 1/16 bit for predrilling and 5/16 drill bit for countersinking). Set this aside to allow the glue to dry.

[​IMG]

Step 2, The Rod Rests ​

From the 1x4, cut three pieces 6” long, and two pieces 4” long. Set one of the 6” pieces aside for later. Take the two remaining 6” pieces and clamp them together. Mark and cut a “V” notch 1 1/2” deep in one end. Then Glue/screw the uprights (6” pieces) to the 4” pieces. Drill a 5/16” hole in the center of each of the 4” bases.

[​IMG]

Step 3, Thread Tensioner ​

Now, take the two pieces you set aside earlier. Drill two 1/4” holes in the piece of 1x2, far enough apart so two spools of wrapping thread won’t hit each other. On mine, they are 2” apart. Glue/screw the 1x2 to one edge of the piece of 1x4. Drill a 5/16” hole in the center of the 1x4, about 2” from the edge.

[​IMG]

Thread the 3” bolts through the two holes in the upright, and secure them with a nut. These will hold your spools of wrapping thread. Tension on mine is supplied by two small springs.(spring, o-ring, washer, spool, washer, nut) I had to use the self-locking nuts because the wing nuts I tried kept un-screwing themselves as the spools turned. I added a small eye screw to the base to feed the thread through.

Step 4, Finishing/Assembly ​

Sand lightly (if you feel ambitious, you can use a router on all the edges), stain, and apply a coat of your finish of choice. Glue felt to the “V” notches in the rod rests. I put some on the base to keep from scratching the kitchen table, too. Then use the 2” bolts, washers, and wing nuts to connect the rod rests and thread tensioner to the base. The slot you built into the base is for your adjustments of these three pieces.

[​IMG]

You should have enough excess wood left to make a separate rod rest (for longer sections or one piece rods).