homemade livewells

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Jan 22, 2008.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Ok guys I need your help. I'm tring to build a livewell for my boat.
    I got half of a 55gal drum that sits behind my drivers seat perfect.
    I wanted to get you guys advice before I start drilling holes and what not

what kind of pumps should I use? I CPR alot but I need a livewell for tournaments.

2. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've looked all over the internet and this website and finally built something that works great for me.

I'm using a 35 gallon rotomolded tank. I have one hole in the bottom which is plumbed to a valve in the back of the pontoon for draining/recirculate water back to a spray head. Good for filling and adding fresh water to the tank. Then I have a keepalive pump/recirculate pump with an intake at the bottom with a return about 3inches higher for constant circulation and aeration.

Here is what makes this really work and keep the tank clean. I'm using a 22" round buffer polishing pad in the bottom to block the intake and drain holes so shad won't plug them and it works as an awesome filter to remove shad poop and scales from the water. At the end of the day, just remove it, let it dry in the sun and beat it to get the old material out. The whole bottom of the tank acts as a giant filter.

With a little shad keeper and non-iodinzed salt, I have no issue with keeping large amounts of shad alive all weekend if needed.

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey frank, that sounds pretty cool. Do you have any pictures. I would like to take a look at that set-up

4. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok, sorry about the delay, here are the pictures of my 35 gallon bait tank setup.

This setup has 2 recirculated setups. The keepalive adds oxygen and make a gentle current in the tank. The main pump as flow-rite #4 pump setup with can fill the tank, gravity drain and a recirculate back to the upper spray head. I guess the sprayhead adds oxygen also but doesn't do quite as well as the keeplive setup. both systems running I lose almost no shad anymore.

Attached Files:

5. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    rest of the pictures.. if you have any question, feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

6. jeepnsammys

jeepnsammys New Member

State:
    nebraska
    sounds like a good idea

7. dbarbosa

dbarbosa New Member

State:
    Mansfield, Texas
    Sounds like some great idea's I am trying to get my 10 posts in so I can look at the pics.

Darwin.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOOKS GOOD CAN IT HOLD BIG FISH ?

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's mainly a BAIT TANK for shad but have kept sandbass alive untill fillet time. the inside is 21.5 inches in diameter and about 32inch high for the water level. It would hold catfish but I really need a place for the bait, lol.

I use a 150qt ice chest for a livewell with a simple pump in and overflow port. it doesn't need to be as fancy catfish and sandbass are easy to keep alive compared to shad.

10. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    good idea on the bait/livewell tank. also thanks for the idea on getting post!!

11. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    after ten post can i view the photo's????

12. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    sorry to take up space on your thread...trying to get the magic number ten!!

13. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i've heard that with color fishfinders it is possible to tell the difference between scaled and non-scaled fish....is this true. if so is it exclusive to certain brand fishfinders and/or models?

14. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I only got to fish twice last week but i have 3 days planned for the coming week. i have sooo much to learn!!!!!

15. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I grew up fishing with my dad. He always said that fishermen were some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. The people here are proving him to be true!!!

16. Bigbobdallas

Bigbobdallas New Member

State:
    Texas
  17. Bigbobdallas

Bigbobdallas New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like you hit # 10 Dennis