Homemade hook & leader holder for storage

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Zoltar, May 19, 2009.

1. Zoltar

Zoltar New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've been upgrading my tackle box recently. One thing that's always been difficult to store is a hook with a leader (swivel, line, hook). I think I've come up with a great solution. I took a swimming noodle that I had cut into sections to act as floats for my homemade drift socks. Then I took a bunch of sewing pins and inserted them into the noodle at about a 30 degree angle from the tangent. So what you do is thread your swivel through the needle, then wrap your line around the noodle until it becomes taut. Then you just hook the hook into the noodle.

A 5 inch section fits nicely in my tackle box and easily takes 5 pins, though you could probably add more if you wanted.

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good Idea...I am looking into a worm wallet...the zip up ones that you can load several packs of worms in...and using it for leaders. Fly fisherman use something very similar for their leaders for that exact purpose.

3. Zoltar

Zoltar New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks. BTW you might want to think about adding some weight to it if you make one of these. Almost had mine blow off a pier today in high winds :O

4. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Sounds like a great idea. I use a piece of styrofoam to hook mine into and stretch the leader with a snap to the other end. I cant see so well at night for tying and pre tied stuff is a must!

5. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Sounds similar to what I do---I use that water pipe insulation foam tubing stuff that has a slit down the side of it. I cut it into sections and open up the slit. I place the swivel into the slit then wrap the leader around the pipe insulation and secure the hook into place. Works pretty good for me. I have several in my tackle bag with different style/size hooks on each tube so that I can stay (somewhat)organized. I will label each tube with a marker, or use different color leader material to keep them straight.

Hope this helps...

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    watch putting these in the tackle box. They will release some corrosive gas when they heat up. I still use them, but keep them away from my bulk hooks and gear.

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

U RUINED MY HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

I FOUND THAT OUT HE HARD WAY !!!!!!!

WORMPROOF BOXES THAT TURNED INTO A $30 BOX OF NIGHTCRAWLERS!!!!

IM A BACKPACK GUY NOW!!!!! CASUE OF THAT

8. Zoltar

Zoltar New Member

State:
    Alabama
    oh, wow. I'll have to look into getting a styrofoam version or something. Thanks for the warning.

9. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Thanks for that tip as well. Guess I will have to be more careful---and there I thought I had something useful.

10. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    With my trolling rigs I use plasboard, plastic boxboard.
    Cut into sections about the size of a slice of bread.
    Cut about 1/8" notches in each end.
    Place leader with sinker in first notch.
    Wrap leader to other end and bring leader over sinker,
    to hold in place. Wrap leader across board, wrap leader across jigs
    to hold in place.
    Place in sandwich zip-lock baggie,
    place a bunch in a larger baggie.
    Use a sharpie to ID line size, space between jigs & sinker, sinker size and number & size of jigs.

Leaders are 8 foot long, 6 jigs and loops at 1 foot apart, leader looped at each end.
    One loop past through sinker eye and looped over, for easy change from 1 size to another.
    Other loop is placed on a snap swivel on main line of pole. I use a bobber stopper on main line, slide stopper to about 5 foot from swivel. Then the bottom jig is about 12 foot deep.

11. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    That's exactly the way I do it also.

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I keep my snelled hooks in I guess you call it a worm wallet. It's a zippered case with the ziplock plastic pouches. The pouches hold on with velcro at the bottom edge. I have pouches for each size and style hook. The only thing is that I pretty much need to take all the hooks out and pull what I need or they get tangled up in the bag. No t a big deal, I'm not in that much of a hurry that it matters.
    I saw these at Cabela's and am giving though to trying them out. I have a couple extra storage boxes and they would make finding and getting hooks easier. I thought I could tag or mark each one with size and style. Should make changes at night easier http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried a bunch of things but then whatever I put them on was in the way. I ended up just snelling a bunch of hooks with leaders and now I just don't tie on the swivel until I am ready to fish. Every time I attach the swivel they get knotted up.

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
  15. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mudhole Kid:

Your PVC pipe caddy to hold pretied hooks is excellent. Thanks for the great idea. I was thinking of several ways to accomplish that, but your idea is superior. It's easy to make, simple and effective. Thanks for sharing.

Ralph

16. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Not taking anything away from what has been posted but this is just a thought. Alot of people tie their own leaders, me included. I have found that if you use the "crack/dope" bags (think tiny ziplock) sold at craft stores you can tie one complete with swivel and beads and put it all in one bag. You can store tons of these in a ziplock samich bag. I put mine in a fishing folder.

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they sell a thing just for that...i've seen it at walmart i think...although i think Styrofoam or the noodle idea is about the cheapest way to go....

18. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    You can also do what you did (nice job BTW), but use Velcro at the swivel end. Just wrap at length of the "hook" part of adhesive backed Velcro around the pipe, and use the "loop" part to hold the leader on.