Homemade gun rest

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by DCcatfisher, Jan 11, 2008.

1. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't been able to make it anywhere to purchase the Caldwell Lead Sled I posted about a few weeks ago and since me and some guys I work with are heading out for a day of squirrel hunting in the Uwharrie National Forest tommorow I needed something to use as a solid rest to shoot my 17 HMR off of to make sure it is still dead on, so when I got off work this morning I improvised a little with some scrap wood I had laying around and came up with this... it works pretty good still don't soak up the recoil of my 7mm Rem. Mag but with a little more brainstorming I think I can cure that too. The first two pics are not the same but a front and back view with the front being the side that is gusseted.

Attached Files:

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Looks like it oughta work pretty good. Could make it longer, and put a place for the butt, then place weights on it for the bigger rifles. Looks like its easy to transport, use, and simple. Good Idea.!!!!

3. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Kevin break out the welder and make ya a bench,its crossed my mind,my wife always says;what are makin now.,lol you could make it to where it folds up,,,just a thought..

4. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a Miller 200 wire welder and a Miller Syncrowave 250 tig and stick machine but not alot of scrap metal laying around. Plus the price of metal is so high by the time I bought the metal and built I could probably buy one already made but I have thought about looking into it. This was just something to get me through for now plus it was a good project to kill some time to try and stay awake all day after working third shift the night before.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a nice lookin gun rest,Kevin. I built a folding /portable shooting bench a few years ago ,when I was working in fiber optics installation. The 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 square tube was free all I had ta do was buy a few bolts ,a hinge ,and steal a few coathangers from the wife to use as rod to acetylene weld it all up.