Homemade floats?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by robbor, Jun 1, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Anybody made their own floats for catfish?
    I want to make a few floats then I will mailorder some later just looking for ideas. I was thinking of trying pvc or closed cell foam. No one here seems to carry large floats espically skinny ones.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get in contact with akwolf41(Gene Chambers) He's a great guy and I promise ya he'll fix ya up. Contact him please before ya do anything else.He came to our Missouri Gathering and put on an excellent demonstration about how to use em.Plus he also has the glowstix that you can put on me so you can see em after dark. I personally have tried his Glow Stiks and Brother they are really Bright and will stay Bright for 12 hours. :big_smile:

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i have 3 water bottles that i cut a small hole in the top and put a small swivel in it half way down and put epoxy all around the cap down to the neck. then i wraped it in red tape. and put a straw in it after a couple layers and put a few move layers around the straw so i can use glowsticks. i have one thats unweighted and two that are weighted with almost 10 oz of lead.

4. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i use a baloon, on a cheap walmart snap swivelon the line below a stop knot and a bead, they can be vared in size, to hold alot of weight

5. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Thanks all, I think im going to look for some schedule 20 1"pvc next week and see how it does. I just tried a piece of 3/4 sch40 and it only held about an ounce afloat. I fish in the ocean more than i catfish and the crabs have been stealing all out bait within a few minutes and a narrower float should do better with some current. In the ocean it really doesnt matter if I can see em because I can still set the clicker to go off. Still looking for ideas though. I saw a coke bottle that someone posted a pic in old posts and the balloons and what not. As well as the link to the kat bobber. I think for catfishing I will try the 8" thill big fish slider,lindy pole floats, Premiers 5oz float befor i go to the big katbobber. Sorry not enough room for kat bobbers in the tackle box. My katfish box broke and I left everything in AZ so when i get some extra $$$ to buy more tackle ill do the mail order thing and by then ill have a better idea of what weight floats will do better in the ocean also.

6. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
  7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I lived in Florida and belonged to a shark fishing club, we frequently suspended our baits below a balloon. A round balloon won't cast worth a flip, but if you use one of those long skinny balloons like they use to twist into animals, it won't catch so much air, and will cast fairly decently.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great things about a pack of children's party balloons to use for bobbers.Cheap.Readily available.Each is adjustable to any bait size as you can even use more than one for large baits or just blow up one to Dime size.You can can easily carry 100 in your pocket or any place that you can place one large conventional bobber.They stretch,conform and often burst when you are fighting a fish.This means that they interfere the least when you are fighting a fish.A couple wraps of soft rubber does not damage your line.Often by under inflating and even using two or more instead of one largely inflated,they are stronger and give your bait a more natural and gentile action as they stretch and give as your bait swims and tries to dive.This makes them really great to smooth out the snatches and jerks your bait can get from wave action and entering the water when casting.A under inflated balloon always conforms and streamlines itself in the air and water.What other bobber can be and is used for pan fish to 1000+ lb.game fish.They are not for all occasions and uses,but what else can be used for so many situations.With sinker slides and bobber stops they can even be cast and adjusted for great depths to keep a bait just above the bottom or a reef,yet interfere little with the fighting of a fish.I found that the hardest lesson for me to learn was not to over inflate,yet there can be situations where you will want to inflate to the point of bursting.This is when you want the balloon to burst with a large fish on so as not to interfere with fighting the fish.I have a large assortment of and many kinds of bobbers that are useful.I consider balloons to be a valuable part of this assortment.Just check and replace them as needed.They do dry rot and will suffer from extreme heat. I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I second, or third, the balloon idea. I stopped using foam floats early this year and switched to bright green balloons. At half a dollar for a foam float, a bag of a hundred balloons is a deal that could very well last you the whole year. You'd also be surprised how long a balloon that's simply filled with air (not blown up to start stressing the latex) will last.

10. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I ran across a small water bottel that hold 1/2 of a normal water bottle.
    It holds 8.6oz and easily floats 8oz+ at balance. So far I think I am going to try containers this size as they are rigid and I can attach an
    elevated piece to see them better with waves.

11. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I was just getting my tackle togather and I believe I found the perfect bobber and also an easier way to use most plastic bottles. I am using some Laker #1 barrel swivels with coastlock from walmart and then open up the coast lock and insert it through the small plastic ring on my 1/2 size water bottles. they float 4-6oz to the 1/2 way point. I found a better container though from walmart also suave pump hairspray bottle 6.5oz(want to say .95 cents), leave the pump screwed in but pop the finger button off and glue in a cotter pin with a swivel on it in the tube hole. It is longer and slimer than my water bottles and stand up very well while also floating 4oz of lead very nice. If you want a big bobber ill guarantee you will like this one:cool2:. I just spray painted one bottle yellow, and will be using it on monday.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Its cool making your own stuff (lord knows I got enough stuff made out of PVC Lowes thinks I'm a professional Plumber), but Ill say this.. What Gene Sells those KatBobbers for, it just aint worth it...

Your buying/using water bottles, pump bottles, swivels, cotter pins, paint, glue etc..

For around $3 you can have a Katbobber that will float whatever you need. Im sure they don't take up much more room in your tackle box than those water bottles and pump sprayers:cool2:.. Plus, its been field tested extensively and I have yet to hear of 1 complaint about em heh. You also got the option of adding a glow stick for nite fishing..

P.S. As you can tell, im a huge fan of the Katbobber.. Not only is a great product, Gene is a heck of a guy to do business with.. He is also a Sponsor here to help keep the lights on.. Do yourself a favor, buy one..

P.S.S.. If you buy one and it doesn't work for ya, Ill buy it off you for what you paid for it.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I couldn't agree more!!!

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you want to use bobbers you can't beat the Kat bobbers that Gene has, and He is an outstanding guy to deal with and a great sponsor.

15. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I didnt realize this was a katbobber thread:big_smile:...
    Look out katbobber here comes the rob-bob:roll_eyes:(patent pending)
    Sorry guys to many things to buy and to little $$$
    I am really stoked about the center hung rob-bob though.
    I just had to wait till I emptied the hair spray bottle to use it. Ive been
    eyeballing it in the bathroom for about 2 weeks.
    One thing the OTHER :lol:guy cant say is my bobber has a slim design
    and you can open the cap and squeez a little air out for less resistance.
    Hair spray- $0.00 dont tell I use hair spray
    Paint- $0.00 already in the garage
    jb weld- $0.00 " "
    swivel $0.00 already in the box
    cotter pin $0.00 garage again!!!
    Knowing my fishing buddy will want one come monday, but he cant have one. Pricless!!!
    In all seriousness, this float seems great.
    I DARE YOU TO MAKE ONE AND TELL ME ITS NOT AWSOME!!!
    The glue is drying right now and the only concern is the stem with the cotter pin, we will see.
    http://onfinite.com/libraries/1194654/99b.jpg

Attached Files:

• 99b.jpg
      99b.jpg
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
  16. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Not trying to rip off Gene, I've heard nothing but good things about him. But you can make something very close very cheap. Get a small pool noodle, chart. green or orange and a pack of the foam cigar floats for crappie fishing with the peg in the middle. Cut the noodle the length you want, glue the float in the hole in the middle and it can be a fixed or slip float. Length can be varied depending in amount of weight used. 8" light sticks are 15 for $1 at Dollar Tree and can be inserted in noodle.

17. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I did not think about that. Last time I was at the dollar store they had the pool noodles but Im not really interested in using it at this time. I have one surviving lindy 10" pole float that I could just put a piece of the noodle around. The griz-bob:lol:. Id probably be more apt to temporary rig it by inserting it on the top half and then a small band of surgical tubing so you dont have to use it if you dont need it and should stand up easier.

15 LIGHT STICKS FOR $1??? that is dirt cheap. They are about $2 each here and no body carrys any assortment of tackle except for bass here in los angeles. I always have to mail order everything. I dont think we have dollar tree stores either.

18. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, Some neat ideas fellows.
    Thanks
    Bill

19. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey thats a pretty good idea.
    I looked around last night and found my daughter was throwing away a tall skinny hair spray container. Its an aerosol and I'm guessing aluminum by the weight of the empty can. This thing is 9" tall and 2" in diameter. Holds 10 oz.
    I popped off the spray button and super glued a cotter pin into the valve. After it warms up a little I'll paint it flourescent orange and then I think I'll give it another coat of some clear reflective paint.
    Might be just the ticket for offering bait to some hungry cats below the dam at the local river.
    Thanks for the idea.
    just

20. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    I came across this idea yesterday, take a 20 oz soda bottle and cut a groove on each side of the lid for your string to slide through, tighten the lid and you've got a bobber, just loosen to adjust the line.