Homemade filtering system for a bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Hoopie, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 30 gallon oval tank from cabelas and i was looking for some ideas on a filtering system. I would like to catch keep gills and chubs in it for a week at a time. Any ideas?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First, keep it cool. 70 or below works for me, and 60 is ideal.

Second, buy a "real bait tank". You can try to rig something up at home, but by the time you do it 2-3 times it would have been cheaper to buy a "real bait tank".

Last, what works for one person may not work for you. Tank size, pump size, the filter, and the condition of the water all play a part in how your bait system works. :wink:

The bottom line is to plan to kill a lot of bait until you figure out what works. :eek:oooh:

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one of those 30 gallon insulated oval tanks from cabelas, looking for a filtering system. I have a 110v and a 12v aerator on it. I need to keep the water clean.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    You will be able to gills and chubs alive in it with just some airstones.When you start trying to keep shad alive is when you will need a filtering system. But I have a 20 gallon cabelas tank i use for the garage and just use 2 airstones, and have kept gills and chubs alive for weeks at a time. I got a 30 gallon grayline for my boat to keep shad alive

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive got a place in my barn to keep my tank and the cool barn floor keeps it around 55 degrees....its just a round 55 gallon plastic drum cut in half....I have a walmart aquarium aerator and a water pump flowing the water in a circular pattern...for a filter i have a paint measurement cup with a perfect fitting hole cut for the pump....then i just use like mesh filters cut down to size....if i get around to it maybe ill post some pics....its very simplistic but its been working to keep bluegill chubs and suckers alive