Homemade electric fish scaler

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by cherokee laker, Jul 13, 2006.

1. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    I catch a lot of scale fish, and share them with some older people and needy persons that no longer can fish.......the worst part to me is scaling 40 to 50 bream and perch.
    So I came up with a variation of a hand fish scaler...(with an electric motor nonetheless)...................

It is made from a plastic barrel (30 gallon I think), it has three stainless steel perforated plates riveted in it(the perforations were made with a nail set). these perforations scale the fish as it slides across the plates.
    the barrel has 30 1 " holes holesawed in it, to allow the scales and water to get out.
    the axle is a 3/4" stainless steel pipe, with a garden hose fitting on one end and a pipe cap on the other. This pipe has three high pressue nozzles tapped into it that spray straight down. The axle runs through the center of the ends of the barrel and is allowed to rotate by way of two 3/4" end flanges.
    the end flanges are collered onto the pipe.
    It has a 3/4hp gear drive motor, and a chain drive.
    It will scale, clean (as a whistle), 50 copperhead bream in 17 minutes.
    [​IMG]

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great post HH, it's in the library now. Thanks for sharing with us.

3. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    But I Would Love To See Some Close-ups Of The Perforated Plate And High Pressure Nozzles N Stuf...rep On This One!

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Cherokee,

Man that is awesome. I would love see some detailed instructions and pics of your scaler. Right now I have a 34 year old wife scaler, lol. She makes me clean the catfish and she takes care of the "easy" scaled ones. I'll never let her know that I hate scaling them.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That is excelent! Good work bro!

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Great idea! Can you take a pic of the inside?

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Post some pics please. Thanks for sharing, rep points on the way.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thats a great Idea! Put a paten on it. Can you post a pix of the inside?
    Bill