Homemade dirt sifter

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by stinkbaitman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    today i decided to do something and instead of going to a store and buying a dirt sifter for 5 bucks im just gonna make my own. it cost me nothin because its just made of stuff i found laying around. the mesh isnt quite as fine as i would have liked it to be but its all i had and it should still work pretty good. here it is.

Attached Files:

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    looks good, I made one like that 20 years ago and it lasted for probably 10, but your right, you are going to need a smaller screen size, I actually used 1/8 mesh on mine, with the big holes you are apt to let some rocks or debris through that might cause a problem...

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Keith is right you need a smaller mesh,I used 1/8.I'm no longer able to trap and if we lived close I would give you mine.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cody ,I use a similar one I built from 1/4" screen and never had any problems with rocks or anything,But ya might want to put a 1/2" thick strip of wood over the bottom edge of the 1x4 ,just to make it last a bit longer if ya got a table saw or access to one just rip a 1x to the thickness and nail it on with a few 1" brads about 1" apart ,Mine is built this way and after using hard for over 10 years it looks as good as when I built it.