Homemade Dipbait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Philiagorillia, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone have any good ideas as to make some interesting types? I took a bag of majic bait crawfish and chicken blood nuggets, mixed it together with some old milk and veggy oil, whipped it into a thick paste about like peanutbutter. Gonna try it this weekend and see what happens, i've used that majic bait stuff before unaltered and i didnt even get a bite. This was free so i thought i'd experiment with it...

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Phil definitely let us know how you did.

Jaime

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    A couple of good ol boys made theirs out of eggs and cheese. Thats all.
    Always caught fish on it.
    They started it working during the winter and let it age.

have a good one
    just

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got an idea for a dip/sponge bait that I'll bet will outproduce any on the market. I'm planning to make some up, and when I do, and give it a test, I'll report on the results. But here it is, and if someone else makes it up and gives it a try first, please post your thoughts on it.

First, you'll need lots and lots of maggots. Now that I've gotten rid of 90% of you, I'll continue. :smile2: Here are a couple of ways of getting them I've heard of, but haven't tried yet.
    1. Put a can of cheap dog food into a plastic bucket and let the flies blow it. Keep an eye on it, and when you feel that there are plenty of eggs on it, cover it with some screen wire. This is to keep the flies from continuing to lay their eggs, producing more maggots than you can handle, and producing maggots of all sizes. (Just in case you want to pull out some for bream bait before you use the rest for your dip bait.) As the maggots grow and eat up the dog food, add more dog food as necessary, still using the cheapest canned dog food you can find. When you first begin to see dark spots on the maggots, that's a sign that they're beginning to be ready to change into flies. Now is the time to harvest them to get the largest possible maggots. Scrape up as much of the uneaten dog food as possible and either discard it or use it for your next batch of maggots, if you plan to grow more. Dump the maggots into an old blender that you'll never use again for anything except making catfish bait. Don't worry if there's a little dog food sticking to them. Puree the maggots, adding a tiny bit of water if necessary. Put the results into a wide mouth container, and dip your sponge or bait into the container. You could also use this as an ingredient for making other baits, but you'd just be diluting it; it's the maggots that will get the fish.
    2. Another method I heard of sounds interesting, too. Rinse out a gallon plastic milk jug and hang a piece of meat down inside from the opening. As the maggots eat the meat, they'll fall off into the jug and can be shaken out. The problem with this method seems to be that the maggots wouldn't necessarily have grown to their maximum size. Probably not a concern if you're going to puree them, but if you plan to use them live for bream, you want them as large as possible. The advantage would be that you'd be grinding up maggots without any dog food getting into your dip.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Maggots:crazy: Dang i'm glad i use shad and live bait:smile2: Several years ago i had a buddie ask me to fish lake Earling in south ark. He motors to the channel and told me to open a bucket sittin in the boat and toss out a scoop. It was soured chops, and phew weeeee was it ripe. Within minutes we went to slayin the fiddlers. He said use chops because with whole corn they gorge themselves and get full. I never made dip bait but perhaps this could also be used as an ingredient.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You guys ever ice fish?
    Mousies are maggots. I think they are fruit fly maggots though.
    Disgusting as it sounds jtrew has a pretty good idea.
    Hey Jerry
    You make it and I'll buy it from you lol.
    have a good one
    just

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Maggots are also often referred to as 'spikes'. Also, someone came out with a bait some years back called 'Wazp Larvae' that was nothing but maggots in natural, red, blue, yellow, and maybe green(?). All in an effort to sell a very good bait without using a name that will turn a lot of people off.

8. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I think my wife is going to kick me out of the house after I make this bait!:smile2:

9. amfit2btied

amfit2btied New Member

State:
    illinois
    When the catalpa worms begin falling out of their nests, we harvest them into buckets. We then add to our favorite dip baits and stir vigorously. It improves the catch ratio two fold.:eek:oooh: