Homemade chum for Catfish

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by bandit06, Dec 21, 2005.

1. bandit06

bandit06 New Member

State:
    TEXAS, Lake Fork
    Nothing new to many. Take a 55 gallon drum with a lid and lock ring. Dump in 250 lbs of whole wheat and fill with water. Put on the lid and the ring and set behind the garage or other outbuilding in the sun for a couple of weeks and lookout. Stinks really bad and works up to about 35 foot of water. Draws in the channels and blues and works well with Sure Shot Punch bait.

2. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    If you want to speed up the fermentation add a can of beer to the mix. Works really good to get the souring going FAST! I use chicken scratch for my grain.

Scott

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have never chummed, what do the rules and laws say about dumping chum in great quantities like that?

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    About how much would 250lbs of wheat cost? How long does it last you Bandit 06? I heard you can also use feed corn. I have bought a five gallon bucket but I am having hard time finding a feed store close to me. Is chumming also productive from the bank? How long does it take to draw the cats to the chum? Do you dump it all at once?

Jaime

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive used hen scratch that i got from the feed store, if there isnt a feed store around where you live ive heard of useing wild bird seed walmart a 4 pound sack runs 94cents they also have corn not sure how much it is though

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks james, really good idea.

Jaime

7. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I have used a 5 gallon bucket. Thats all I usually make. Just pop the top every now and then to let the air out or your bucket could explode. You can use the bait after a couple of weeks. You will know when it is ready. It will make you gag! Make sure that you keep adding some water to the mix. It will dry out even in a sealed bucket as the grain absorbes the water. Basically you put a bunch out and wait about 30 minutes. They will come into it if they are there. You will get smaller channel cats mostly. The more you bait an area the more cats you will get there. When you clean them look in the belly. It will be loaded with the stuff.

BTW, you can use deer corn too and Wal-Mart usually has that.

Scott

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks Scott, really good info.

Jaime

9. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use all equal parts of hen scratch, maze, and cottonseed meal. Mix it together with some water and a beer, and let it sit......I believe the magic is in the cottonseed meal. It is like a powder and when it gets into the water it makes a cloud in the water and draws them in and the maze and hen scratch give them something to feed on and keep them there.

10. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Can you get cottonseed meal at a feed store? i live within sight of a feed store and it would be really easy for to obtain some.

11. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cottonseed meal is at every feed store I have ever been in.....I am in Texas though. We have some weird stuff here. haha!

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

old beef blood makes some wicked chum

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Could you use dog food? (dried) :confused:
    Bill

14. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dog food, cat food, dry or canned can be used as chum. Just be responsible, by removing the container, its your fishing hole you are polluting.

15. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Ive got a problem with my scratch\chum drying out in the container. I use an old (cleaned out mind you) pool cleaner container that has holes on the unerside of the lid (around the outer rim) and it causes the chum to get all dried out on top and moldy. When you dig down though, its nice and juicy most of the time. It works quite well, even when it has this, crust, for a lack of a better word. I usually catch carp and bullheads whenever I chum with it from the bank, but carp are usually my intended target, and the bullheads are slowly starting to become cutbait whenever I feel like going catfishing. I do catch some eater size channels from time to time, but nothing huge, like what Im after. Is there anything I can add to liven up the party and get some decent sized blues in my hole?

16. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    You can also use soybeans, I have made it a few times before and I have had great results with it everytime.

chris

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Some people run their leftover bait and fish scraps (from cleaning) through a meatgrinder, then freeze the the ground up stuff into a block. You can put one end of an old piece of rope into the chum before freezing so you can tie on a weight, or simply put a rock in the container before adding the chum so that the rock is frozen into the chum. Either method will sink the chum to the bottom, letting small particles disperse into the water as the block thaws.

18. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I was thinking of filling a gallon milk jug with dog food the punching holes in it. Then tieing a rope to the handle and fastening it to the boat. Think that will work? Might do acouple at a time.
    Bill ;)

19. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chum usually works best if a spot is chummed for several days in advance. Although a lot of folks put out chum and give it a half hour or so to work and then come back and fish the spot. Its kinda like if you trow a 100 dollar bill on a country road someone will eventually find it, if you throw it out on a busy side walk it will draw a crowd quick. If you keep throwing out 100 dollar bills on the country road for a few days at about the same time, word gets out and there will be a crowd gather about that time every day in anticipation.

20. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Excellent thought. I could tie them to a tree limb but that is a dead give away. Any thoughts on that. (how to hide my chum)
    Bill