The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a favorite homemade catfish bait? I really dig hotdogs soaked in kool-aid, and chicken breast pieces that have been sitting in Jell-o mix. I've caught a lot of channel catfish over the past year with both of these baits.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Mine is more home-mixed than home-made and seems to work well.

I grind up some beefheart combine it with a can of ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, then dump in a can of catfish charlies shad dip, half a bag of magic baits great scott liver and cheese catfish dough balls then mix it all up good, I put it in jars that had garlic in them at one time to give it all just a very faint whiff of garlic

Next batch I'm going to add in a container of sudden impact and see how that all works out togather.

20180411_092946.jpg

·
Fish Sticks
1,588 Posts
Hot Dogs soaked in Garlic salt seems to be good. I make a bread dough and mix in some Gulp Alive recharge for an attractant, works for Cats and Carp. Good fun baits. I have used wheaties and canned sweet corn, corn works better than wheaties in my neck of northern Illinois.

Reactions: fatmudcat and Fate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hot Dogs soaked in Garlic salt seems to be good. I make a bread dough and mix in some Gulp Alive recharge for an attractant, works for Cats and Carp. Good fun baits. I have used wheaties and canned sweet corn, corn works better than wheaties in my neck of northern Illinois.
I have to laugh, I ewad about the garlic soaked hotdogs and tried it as there is a lake in my area known for catfish.....so far no cats, but i've caught both pickerel and trout....go figure, hahaha

·
Fish Sticks
1,588 Posts
As always "don't knock it till ya try it."......
Here's a weird one for you... Hot dogs cut in 4th's soaked in strawberry cool-aid and garlic salt... I actually tried it and caught a few eater cats and soft shell turtles.....

Reactions: fatmudcat

·
Registered
26 Posts
I make a punch bait with cheese trimmings + Chum Slick from Aquatic Nutrition. For fiber I use shredded cotton balls. Make sure it is good cheese not the cheap cheese that is loaded with vegetable oil and preservatives.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I make a punch bait with cheese trimmings + Chum Slick from Aquatic Nutrition. For fiber I use shredded cotton balls. Make sure it is good cheese not the cheap cheese that is loaded with vegetable oil and preservatives.
Care to share the recipe?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Care to share the recipe?

I melt old cheese, deli quality not the small blocks of cheese you can buy in the grocery stores. I then add ChumSlick and stir it in the melted cheese before I add the fiber. If I make a large batch I use cattails for fiber as it can take a lot of fiber depending how large of a batch you make.

Let it set in the sun for a week or so then stir it up and see if you need more fiber. You want it to be thick like peanut butter and loaded with fiber so the water doesnt wash it off your hook easily.

If you are using fresh cheese instead of aged cheese trimmings you will need to let it age and turn a little rancid. This can take several months. I buy cheese trimmings from catfishconnection.com or memphisnet.net

1 - 10 of 10 Posts