homemade catfish bait dough

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by otalldon, Jan 10, 2010.

1. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Hi, been doing some research on dough baits, my grandfather used to make dough baits for catfishing, we always had more success on blue gills, but all the same wondered if you guys had any input as to if there was any good dough baits worth using...If you guys have much success with any home made dough recipes please share your favorite. Read in other info some guys get the bigger cats on bluegills and the smaller more eatable cats on doughs or bloodbaits. Also is there any store bought baits out there worth using? What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I have never used it but secret 7 is supposed to be great on channels.

3. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I normally stick to gills and the good ole
    tennessee tarpons(skips)

4. festus

festus New Member

I don't use any of the commercial catfish baits, but I have a friend who had pretty good luck last year with the stuff called "Hog Wild" or something similar. I'm thinking it's a dip bait and not a doughball type, however.

When I was a teenager I used to make a catfish doughball. It wasn't as effective as nightcrawlers, minnows, or cut bait, but it would catch a few smaller channel cats and bullheads. I can't tell you the exact recipe, but I used flour, cornmeal. water, grated Parmesan and Bleu Cheese salad dressing, along with the juice from a couple cans of sardines. However, sometimes I'd catch a few cats on a homemade carp bait with strawberry Jell-O, sugar, water, flour, cormneal, and vanilla extract.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only time I use a dough bait is when it is really hot outside and I want the bait to break down slower. The dough bait I've had the most luck with is "B's" Bait. Which can be purchase at Catfish Connection. I like to use it when fishing the Heavy Lilly Pads. I hope this helps.[ /B]

6. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I tried some of that Magic stuff that I won on here with no luck at all, so I tossed it all in the water hoping that it would make good chum. Well that did not work either. Stick to Skipjack and be happy!

7. festus

festus New Member

We used to knead bread balls around about a size 1 or 2 hook, then dip it in sardine juice. If the bite was on, the fish would hit it, but probably not as good as 'crawlers, minnows, or cut bait, as I mentioned earlier.

8. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks guys, I was curious if any of you guys had any success, think I will stick to my gills and maybe some chicken livers spiced up some too. I was curious if there was much to it, remember my uncles and grand father using dough balls many many years ago when I was young, I am 50 now. They had me catch there main bait, bluegills to bait their trot lines. They mainly fished percy priest since we lived in murfreesboro, I now live sparta. And I can remember helping my uncle check lines then and it was not odd to find 3 or 4 cats 30 plus on a line. Biggest we ever got in a boat was 65 pounds and we had several to break the line or straighten a hook. Good ole days....I hope to do more cat fishing, have mainly been bass and trout fisher for most of my adult life, but lately been getting the cat itch, thus I found you guys here. I want to say this is the best fishing forum I have found and it's really aggravating my cat itch....You guys will probably have me around for some time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Welcome brother, if you ever want to go jug fishing just let me know. I am am in Watertown.

10. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee

Hey Jug, we will go sometime. Sounds good to me.

11. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have tried alot of dough baits, both store bought and home made. I have had more luck with chicken livers or nightcrawlers when fishing for eaters. On many occaisions I have fished two poles side by side, one with stink bait the other with chicken liver. The liver has always had better results than the stink bait. It seems that the night crawlers win out at dusk, but after dark the liver takes over. Why? I dont have a clue, just giving you my experience. For bigger fish I have had more hits on cut bait. But I love to eat my catch so I fish with alot of liver.

12. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Do you dry them out a little to toughen the livers up and have you tried putting garlic salt on the livers. Going to try this, someone told me they use livers this way. thanks for your advise brother.

13. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have not tried drying them out, but I have soaked them in Garlic overnight. I have also soaked them in cherry coolaid. Both worked good, but I cant tell if it was ant better than just straight liver. Liver has always brought in eaters for me. Im sure you have alreadt tried this but on heavy flowing waters I use my wifes panty hose to hold the liver. It keeps it from tearing off in the current, plus you can add a sardine or two to the mix. I think the blood is the key. I have alot more luck with juicy livers than frozen ones. You dont find many people that will testify for liver, but they have been catching eaters long before any of us have been fishing.