homemade boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 17, 2009.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    So ya im tired of fishing from the bank and being limited, I want to build a boat that will hold 3 adults safely and wont flip too easy, it will be powered by oars, maybe I could get one with an 800lb limit? I would like to make it for under $100 too, Ill use any crazy ideas just to save money, it doesnt have to be very big just nice and sturdy.

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    :confused2:are you serious?:confused2: I wish you luck if you are:big_smile:

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I would like to make it for under $100 too,"

Might be a little difficult to build one that cheap but there are plenty of plans and kits to be found on the "net".

4. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    oh well I read you can build a jon boat for around $100 so sorry. I didnt know.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey, if you can get a line on some cheap wood you might squeak by.
    But I would guess $200- 250 to be the least you could get by with.

There used to be an oldtimer out this way that built his own. Kinda disposables, he would just leave 'em on the river bank and crank out another one when they would rot.

6. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    you could pick up an old john boat for $100-300. I think thats your best route

7. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Could make a pontoon style boat boat fairly easy by building a frame out of either steel or wood, screw down a plywood floor and find some used steel drums for floats. Very stable, lots of room and should be cheap.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Some truck inner tubes and plywood deck?
    Sorry but couldn't help it.:eek:oooh:
    You might be able to pick up an old jon but for 800# capacity, I doubt it and building one I'd really doubt it.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Your probably better off to find an old boat that someone is giving away and fix it up.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    best bet would be to check craigslist, unless ya plan on cuttin down some trees and tie them together like a tom sawyer raft, but then ya still have to build a trailer:eek:oooh:

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If all your willing to spend is a 100 buck's, Your better off buying some floatie's and a BIG ORANGE vest so fish and game department can find you real quick:eek:oooh:

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I doubt ya can make one for 100 bucks, by the time ya get plywood, and all the screws, and all that hardware its gonna cost something, then got to put something on the joints so it don't leak, and coat it so it dont' rot/ That stuff ain't cheap

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A decent set of plans will cost you 50 bucks.
    Sorry, but I build boats. I can't build a tiny one man canoe or kayak for 100 bucks.
    It just aint happening.

14. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I work at a door factory that uses styrofoam for the door cores. The foam come in 3ft x 6ft blocks. There was a guy at work a while back that hollowed out one of these blocks into a kind of foam jon boat. I did'nt ride in it but did watch him launch & ride in it with no problems. Prolly kept & used it for about 3-4 months.

15. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    James,

Do a google search on PD Racer or puddle duck racer or check out PDracer.com. This is a class of DIY micro-skiffs that would be easily adaptable to fishing. Not for all kinds of water, in fact, probably not for most kinds of water but it would get you out on the water for less than $100, basically just a few sheets of plywood plus glue, screws, and paint. Lots of folks have made them with pics to give you ideas ...definately a good way to at least generate some ideas etc...

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    IF YOU WANT ONE FOR A $100 BUCK I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CAN GET.I WOULD TRY PLYWOOD OR CHECK AROUND ON CRAIGSLIST EVERY ONE IS SELLING WHAT THEY GOT NOW DAYS.ANY WAYS HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING.

17. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey Mark check this out, I've done the impossible! hahaha!!

If you can find some sealed plastic drums for free or dirt-cheap its very possible to do so for under 100 bucks....but powering a barge with oars is not the best idea. Investing in a trolling motor at least would be worth it...and would cost more than the boat, hahaha.

This is a picture of some of my friends and I we made this thing with the cheapo wood at Home Depot. I think the 2x4s were 50cents each or something ridiculous but hellbent as ever. We built it using no measurements and it has survived 3 bad hurricanes in a river; I just wonder how it was possible. **Note the cool "grill" that we found and screwed to the front end, haha!

The main thing is going to be finding the drums to strap underneath the decking. It's more like a floating dock. We used 5 full drums and it could hold about 3 of us steadily with a trolling motor/battery...like 500 pounds worth.

Secondly a barge is what it is...a barge, so transporting it would be a pain in the butt. And something that can support 800 pounds on the water won't just throw in the bed of a truck very easily.

Attached Files:

18. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is kewl....Only in Louisiana...:smile2:
    Me and my brother when we were kids made all kinds of crazy stuff like that..That is kewl tho bro..Got a good laugh..
    This is my "Homemade" boat..
    [​IMG]
    My dad built in 97' 15' center console and 12 gallon gas tank..Cost him 1400 dollars to build..

19. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    very cool!

20. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    dont think i would trust my homemade boat lol. i don't think the bath tub would be big enough to test it:eek:oooh: lol!! good luck man. post some pics for us. thanks , shane