homemade boat rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by BIG_D, Oct 8, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i want to make some rod holders for my boat i cant aford the store ones thay add up in $ fast i have looked the library over not much in there any ideas pics are a big plus if i can see it i can usely make it thanks

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are some pictures of my rod holders. I was told that having someone make it for me out of aluminum would have been easily $ 200. I made this for approximately $120. Not including the cost of the rod holders themselves. I used handles to make it easier to remove when not in use. This seams to work really well. Hope this helps.
    $30 each for the two bases installed by a boat dealer =60
    $10 each for the seat bases =20
    $10? for the 2x8 =10
    $5? for the handles =10
    $10 for the lacquer =10
    $ 5-10 in hardware =10
    approx $120

Attached Files:

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Dallas,
    I dont know if you have a welder but here are some that I came up with,,
    ive also now have a "roll bar" on the back of my boat that I have 5 holders mounted to,,,:wink: Dont have a good pic of it here at work...:confused2: You can use them as singles"without the bar" or doubles, I use the doubles for trolling for crappie, and the single for cats..

The base is a nut welded to a washer and drilled three holes in, The holders are 3/8 bar bent and a piece of 2" pipe, the ends where dipped in plasti-cote to protect the rods,,:big_smile:

Puddle
    You can kind of see the "roll bar" in this post,,
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116617
    :big_smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey dallas get ahold of shadman....hes in my friends list. he lives here in indiana and has made some pretty nice rod holders out of rebar....he can prolly guide u in the right direction.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey dallas i just looked in the selling section and he actually has a rod rack with four of his holders already mounted onto it for 125. and i think its to the point now that u can just make an offer. but reguardless im sure he can help u with how to make them or cut u a good deal on that rod rack of his

6. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    Here pics of one I made real fast with what I had. It's OK to laugh at it I do:smile2: But it works for me :smile2: lower right in 1st pic behind flats in 2nd pic

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You guys are really innovative. Thanx for the thread Dallas I'm getting some ideas too:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    all these idea's need to be in the library so all this will be on file

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Dallas,I don't have any pics,but on my old boat I made some that were removable and they worked great but went with the boat when it got sold.

I'll try to explain the how to part.

First I started with a flat peice of steel plate about 1/8 inch thick and cut out a peice 4x4 inches. this will get a hole drilled to accept whatever bolts you use in each corner. then I cut a peice of squre tubing about 4 1/2 inches long,and 1 1/4 inch wide. this peice of square tubing gets spot welded to the mounting plate centered between two sets of holes and then mounted to the inside of the boat rail with the square tubing going up and down.

Then take you a peice of square tubing about 6 to 8 inches long and with a 1" width and cut to a 35 to 45 degree angle,on this angle cut end weld on a 6 to 8 inch peice of heavy conduit or light wall pipe with a inside diameter that will accept your fattest rod but.

sand or grind down any rough spots and primer and give them a couple coats of whatever color spray paint you like.

Mount the bracket, preferably with stainless steel bolts and nylon lock nuts with asome good washers on the back side. when ready to fish drop the smaller square tube into the bigger one mounted on the boat and slide you rod butt into the round tube.

you can change up the angle cut to change the rods attitude toward the water,I was experimenting with a system that the angle could be changed but for saving rods decided a one peice was safer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I am in the process of making some rod holders for my boat now. I made a template to bend 3/8" rod. I have made 3 and need to make a few more before I post anything on them. Not trying to be secretive just need to hone the design a little better. When I do I will send you a picture if you are interested. I need some for my boat but could not afford to spend for new ones. I think I will have around 8$ in each one when finished.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont know what kind of boats you have, but Katfish Ken did some really interesting and effective things with a simple piece of PVC and some zip ties, he also made one for the back out of a piece of angle and some bought rod holders. he has pics on his page, he is in my friends list and he usually doesnt mind talking about those things.