???Homemade boat blind????

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by JAYNC, Nov 7, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am needing to either buy or build a boat blind this season. I just dont want to pay $500 and up for a blind when I'm sure there are ways to build one for a lot cheaper. Anyone on the forum who has built their own?? If so what kind of materials did you use. The boat is a 2005 Triton duck boat, 17' long with a 78" beam and side console. I was thinking of using some pvc but not sure how to rig it so that it can fold down for running and not sure it would be strong enough. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jason, I built one for my 16' Express using 3/4" emt for the frame and wheel casters for the pivot points. For camo I used brushy creek camo netting(had fastgrass but it doesn't match my conditions very well) attached to batting cage netting, on the inside I attached black weed barrier as a wind block. In hindsight, I wish I would have made a frame like the Northern Flight Blind uses(pg. 72 Cabela's Waterfowl issue). Mine is screwed to the boat and is a pain to install or remove). Hope this helps. Charlie

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No it don't help.

I wanna see pictures in bright color, and large, with detail.:big_smile:

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Plan on getting it mounted back on the boat tomorrow.............after I get it on I'll post pictures.

Google Northern Flight Blinds and I bet they have real pretty color pictures:tounge_out:

Helped a buddy built a frame for his 18' Grizzly..........side consoles are a pain in the butt in so far as getting the blind frame to lay close to the gunnel.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The guys around here hunt in the shallow water on the rivers and lakes..They anchor there boats and drive either PVC or old metal fence posts around the boat making a stall it stays there year round so they can just pull there boat into it..then they either cover with cane they cut from the creeks {free} or they throw up a camo tarp with holes to shoot

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I built one a few years ago. I took 1" Sq tubing and then drilled a hole along the end. Welded a 1/4" nut over the hole. That allowed the tubing to adjust up and down. Then slipped 3/4" down in that. And then 1/2" in that . It looked good.
    And never did hunt with it.
    There is a board that is all duck hunting. And they have some great ideals on there on how to build your own blinds.
    Pete

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    We built one we used for years that was made of 2X2's treated and then had a water proof, air tight cover made to go around it that rolled up when travleing. When I bought my new boat I bought an Avery blind for it and it is ok but the one I threw away was a lot better and less hassle to use.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Decided to go ahead and build one like the Northern Flight frame, bought the 3/4" steel, started cutting and welding but ran out of wire for the welder:sad2: . Start my 7 days on tomorrow so will have to wait till next week to finish...........will try and post pictures as I go.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Still not sure what I will do for a blind, I really dont want to spend a lot of money. The season starts on saturday but its supposed to be so warm here this weekend I dont think I will go. I guess I will just keep thinking about how I am going to build it and have it done by the time the second season comes in. Thanks guys.

10. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have a 16' express my blind came with the boat but would be simple to duplicate. Attach two rails one in the front and one in the rear by the engine. From there they took fence posts bent at 90deg in each corner to form a big u. attach one end to the front and one to the rear with a bolt. this allows the side to pivot on the rail. I.M. me and give me your email I will send you a drawing.

11. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    I haven't hunted in over 20 years but before all the ones that are now available went to army navy surplus and bought a tank cover for about $30.00
    made temp posts and sides out of 1x2 after decoys were out draped the cover over the sides. worked great and was cheap. shoot a bunch.--shu